updating database

droidus

do you see anything wrong with this update code?  i am having trouble setting the acntStatus=1.

<?php
mysql_select_db($database_uploader, $uploader);    
$query = "SELECT * FROM members WHERE uname='$_SESSION[user]'";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result) or die(mysql_error());

$usedSpace = $row['bandwhitch'];

$acntType = $row['acntType'];
if ($acntType == 1) {
	$totalSpace = 500;
}
else {
	$totalSpace = 250;
}

if($usedSpace > $totalSpace) {
	echo "There is something wrong with your account. Please contact us!";
	$usageError = true;
	mysql_query(sprintf("UPDATE members SET acntStatus='%s' WHERE uname='%d'",   
  			mysql_real_escape_string(1),
		$_SESSION['user']))
		or die(mysql_error());  
		mysql_close($con);
}
$usagePercent = (round(($usedSpace/$totalSpace), 2)) * 100; // Convert to percentage
}
?>

Don't create your queries inside the mysql_query() function. It makes it difficult to debug problems such as this. A couple of things I see:

1) You are setting a value using "mysql_real_escape_string(1)". That is not necessary. You are specifically setting the value as "1". There is no need to use mysql_real_escape_string() on the value. And since I assume it is a numeric field, you wouldn't use mysql_real_escape_string() on the value even if it was user entered. You should instead set the value as an integer. mysql_real_escape_string() is for STRNG data.

2) You are also using $_SESSION['user'] in the WHERE caluse, but I don't see anywhere in that script that you have initiated the session using session_start(). I suspect that is the real problem. The value is empty, thus there were no matching records.

Build your query outside the mysql_query() call so you can add some debugging code:

$query = sprintf("UPDATE members SET acntStatus='%d' WHERE uname='%d'", 1, $_SESSION['user']);
mysql_query($query) or die("Query:<br>$query<br>Error:<br>" . mysql_error());

//Debugging line
echo "Query: $query<br>Affected Rows: " . mysql_affected_rows();

hm, i think something is wrong with the code, because i do have session_start();, and when i echo the session, there is a valid value.  when i try the code, i even replace the variable with the actual valid username, but i still get:

Query: UPDATE members SET acntStatus='1' WHERE uname='0'

how is it 0????  :confused:

how is it 0????  :confused:

Um, well you *should* be updating by an ID and not the username. I assumed 'uname' was really the user ID and you just chose a poor name for that field. But, the reason it is always zero is because you are using '%d' in the sprintf() function. That tells the parser that the value should be an integer. Therefore any string that can't be interpreted as an integer is converted to 0.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.