combining 2 preg_replace

dsp77

i'm having trouble in combining the 2 preg_replace into 1.

basically i have a string witch strange chars, first i remove all except alphanumeric chars and the remaining string has 1 or 2 spaces and i replace them with dash.

strtolower(preg_replace('/\s+/', '-', preg_replace("/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/i", ' ',$a['item'])));

I was hoping that you would rethink the logic being used here, but maybe that was too much to ask. 

Think about what your regular expressions are doing.

1. Replace any single non-alphanumeric character with a space.

2. Replace any occurrence of one or more consecutive whitespace characters with a dash.

There is never any chance of an alphanumeric character also being a whitespace character, it's just not possible. Anything non-alphanumeric will become a space, then any group of spaces will become one dash. The above two steps can be replaced with a single one doing the same job:

1. Replace one or more consecutive non-alphanumeric characters with a dash.

strtolower(preg_replace('/[^0-9a-zA-Z]+/', '-', $a['item']));

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.