Need help with moving variables!

Ruddy

Hey, Im new here (First post) and I need some help with variables. At the moment I have one main file where all variables have been defined and this page has been included in every page that has been made for the rest of the site.

It defines them like this:

$query="SELECT * FROM user WHERE name='$name'";
        $result=mysql_query($query);
        $result=mysql_fetch_array($result);
        $name=$result["name"]
        $money=$result["money"];

But users are able to change variables using the URL e.g www.test.com/index.php?money=1000000. That would then say they have 1,000,000 money on that page but when they change the page it will go back to the amount that is in the database. I would like to stop this as its not good for the site and there has to be a better way to be doing this. I would like to learn about this so any help would be great.

I would like it if someone could add me on skype or somthing like that to help me do this faster then posting on a forum.

Thank you very much,

Alex

If they can change it with a get variable, then something is wrong and my bet is that  register_globals is turned on in the php.ini  file, which is a huge security vulnerability.

Changing that to off should fix it, but may also break your application. To fix it without doing that, initialize variables at the top of the script. IE:

<?php
$money = "";
$name = "";

/// your other code here

$query="SELECT * FROM user WHERE name='$name'";
        $result=mysql_query($query);
        $result=mysql_fetch_array($result);
        $name=$result["name"]
        $money=$result["money"];

Which should prevent the get variable from ever being used. If you need the name in a get variable change that line to this:

$name = isset($_GET['name'])?mysql_real_esacpe_string($_GET['name']):'';

But of course without seeing a bit more code, I am just working blindly.

Hey, thank you for a fast reply. :D

I have checked and register_globals is OFF. So it cant be that, any other ideas?

Also I cant put the file up here as it is a BIG file and I dont want people to see it as it is being used on a game at the moment.

Thanks,

Alex

To me it dont feel safe doing that and would rather not and I know this just makes it harder for you to help me but I cant see why anything else in this file would help. Its my config file for the whole game and thats the only bit that is causing a problem. But it goes somthing like this if this is any help.

http://pastebin.com/qSmcAjaW

Thanks again,

Alex

You can delete it now.

Where your issue is, is this part:

foreach($_GET as $key=>$val)
{
$$key=$val;
}
foreach($_POST as $key=>$val)
{
$$key=$val;
}

That turns any POST/GET into a variable. This is just the same as register_globals. So yea, if you want to do this, put it at top, and any variables that you do not want to be able to be changed by this, make sure you intiialize that variable after that, to prevent hijacking.

Wow, duh? :P

Thank you so much thats been getting on my nerves!

Thank you very much indeed,

Alex

-------

Dam, i have just checked my site and it has a forum and now i cannot view the topics.

The link is like this.

<A HREF="forums.php?cat=<?PHP print $cat;?>&act=viewtopic&topic=<?PHP print $topic;?>"><B STYLE="font-size:18px;"><?PHP print $title; ?></B></A>

Any help there?

That didnt seem to work. erm, dont know if this helps but the cats are done like this. Also any chance you could try and explain the problem a little to me? (So I can learn from it a little)

if($_REQUEST["cat"]=="general")
   {
$cat="general";
$catname="General Forums";
   }

else if($_REQUEST["cat"]=="news")
   {
$cat="news";
$catname="News";
   }

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.