Store & access data in a session?

Arkanto5

Hello

I have included a simple login system into my website. When a user logs in, a session is started and he stays connected throughout the whole website until logging out again. The user logs in via his e-mailaddress and a password, which are stored in a mysql database.

Now I want to add a page on which a user that is logged in, can see and edit his own information (password, cellphone number, e-mail, etc.). Or easier: instead of showing "Welcome!" showing "Welcome, John!".

I thought about storing the e-mailaddress into the session, and then trying to access it to select the correct record (to edit afterwards). But so far, I haven't booked any success. I have to say that this is the first time I'm working with sessions as well, so this is very new to me.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Getting/setting session variables is just like any other array, but PHP then saves the serialised contents into a file at the end of each request. Personally I would store the user data returned from your database within an array (excluding the password), within the $_SESSION array:

$_SESSION['user'] = $row;

That would create a session variable called 'user', populated with the user's data. On the edit profile page you're then able to access this data:

First name: <input type="text" name="first_name"<?php if (isset($_SESSION['user']['first_name'])): ?> value="<?php echo htmlentities($_SESSION['user']['first_name']); ?>"<?php endif; ?>>

Although you'd probably be better off storing the data within a variable to make the code more readable:

$user = $_SESSION['user'];

First name: <input type="text" name="first_name"<?php if (isset($user['first_name'])): ?> value="<?php echo htmlentities($user['first_name']); ?>"<?php endif; ?>>

Note the use of htmlentities.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.