A few questions about PHP GTK

drayarms

Hello everyone, I have been doing web developing for a little while and just recently decided to make the leap to developing standalone applications.  I started learning C++ and JAVA for this purpose, but quickly learned that PHP can also be used to this end, and since I am quite familiar with PHP, I thought it would make sense to start with PHP GTK.  But before I jump right in, I have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate some answers for:

Does PHP have any significant advantages/disadvantages over lower level languages such as C++ ?  I would imagine that PHP being originally designed for web programming would be less suited for stand alones.

I'm a little confused as to whether the GTK is a graphical user interphase software, the likes of QT and Netbeans,  or is it a markup language like HTML, where the widgets are generated with text commands?  Please I need a little clarification on that.  Also are there any other tools that need to be downloaded to get started besides the GTK?

Finally, am I supposed to learn OOP PHP to get going or is traditional procedural PHP sufficient?

Answers to any or all of the above questions and any other advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

The main disadvantage to using php for something like this is that php & php-gtk will need to be installed on any machine you wish your application on. Besides that, there isn't a great deal of people using gtk as far as I can tell. It's always felt a little facky to me anyway compared to gtk implimentations in languages such as Python.

I'm a little confused as to whether the GTK is a graphical user interphase software, the likes of QT and Netbeans

Netbeans is an IDE, but yeah, GTK is a framework like Qt.

Finally, am I supposed to learn OOP PHP to get going or is traditional procedural PHP sufficient?

You'll get by using procedural. GTK is however mostly OOP, and you'll find it easier to organise things if you went down the OOP road.

PHP GTK always struck me as "Hey, look I can do GUIs in PHP too", a proof of concept made just because it can be done, and not for serious development. I've messed around with it before, and it's definitely not something I would use to create any serious applications. Although it was interesting to mess around and create GUI applications in PHP, there's a severe lack of documentation, and because not many people actually use it, it's hard to find solutions to problems that you encounter.

Languages like C++ are definitely more suitable for this type of thing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.