Complete Beginner

stevenp

Hi,

Basically I just downloaded wamp and got php and mysql etc.

I created a database for my "new social network to-be site" which I am trying to develop.. now I want to create a registration page and am trying to follow a guide on another website.. it lets you download a zip with all the php files required.

So now, I am totally confused.

Here is the guide: http://www.html-form-guide.com/php-form/php-registration-form.html

But I dont know what to do with any file or where to put it.. any basic help..

Just to confirm I want to make a login/registration/user database type thing

Well WAMP, provides Apache or localhost which can basically host php offline.. if you get what I mean.. so instead of a paid web server i have apache which does the same locally for free.

I tried uploading a file to my database (can you even upload a .php to the database?) and I get this error.. I dont undertsand.. sorry if I am being dim :)

Error

There seems to be an error in your SQL query. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem

ERROR: Unknown Punctuation String @ 1

STR: <?

SQL: <?PHP

require_once("./include/fg_membersite.php");<?PHP

require_once("./include/fg_membersite.php");

SQL query:

<?PHP require_once("./include/fg_membersite.php");

MySQL said: 

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '<?PHP

require_once("./include/fg_membersite.php")' at line 1

Find your Apache folder. It should have htdocs and conf folders in it.

I highly suggest you read the tutorials in that link I provided to you. You should also look up general using Apache with Windows tuts. The questions you are asking aren't related to PHP coding at all. You need help finding where to upload / move your files so that they can be accessed by Apache. This is relatively simple and can be figured out by reading over the contents in the link I provided much better than I could ever hope to.

Once you can access your .php files in your browser I'd be happy to help you from there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.