Multiple forms but keep URL Parameter

petenaylor

Hi all

I have a form that i need to submit a get to the URL and then a second form that sends a different URL parameter but keeps the first in place?

Here's my code:

<select name="category" onChange="this.form.submit();">
            <option value= >--Choose category--</option>
            <?php 
	   $getcats = mysql_query (" SELECT * FROM `categories` ORDER by name ASC");
	   while ($showcats = mysql_fetch_array($getcats)) { 

echo "<option value=\"".$showcats['id']."\"".(($_GET['category']==$showcats['id']) ? ' selected="selected"':'').">".$showcats['name']."</option>";
            } ?>
          </select>
    </form>

<form id="make" name="make" method="GET" action="create-advert.php?category='<?php echo $_GET['category']; ?>">

<select name="make" onchange="this.form.submit();">
           <option>--Choose make--</option>
            <?php 
	   $getmakes = mysql_query (" SELECT * FROM `makes` ORDER by name ASC");
	   while ($showmakes = mysql_fetch_array($getmakes)) {

echo "<option value=\"".$showmakes['id']."\"".(($_SESSION['make']==$showmakes['id']) ? ' selected="selected"':'').">".$showmakes['name']."</option>";

} ?>
          </select>
          </form>

Each time I select the make in the second form the url parameter 'category' disappears from the first?

Many thanks

Pete

[/code]

Hi there

My page basically consists of a number of fields that a user fills in to place an advert.

Firstly they select a category and then depending on which category they selected, a drop down will appear for a make of caravan. They then select the make to reveal the models for that make. Each parameter determines the options to the users.

I need the first drop down to send the category parameter to the URL and the next drop down to send the make to the url.

So it looks like create-advert.php?category=1&make=22 for example.

Thanks

Pete

You shouldn't use GET as the form method. It will over-ride any other data you have in your query string. See this example

<?php 

print_r( $_GET );
echo '<br>';
print_r( $_POST );

?>
<form method="get" action="temp.php?something=blah"><input type="text" name="lol"><input type="submit" value="Submit GET"></form>
<br>
<form method="post" action="temp.php?something=blah"><input type="text" name="lol"><input type="submit" value="Submit POST"></form>

If you really want the values in the query string, use a solution like this

<?php 

print_r( $_GET );

?>
<script type="text/javascript">
function doForm() {
	location.href = 'temp.php?something=blah&textinput=' + document.getElementById('text').value;
}	
</script><br>
<input type="text" name="textinput" id="text">
<input type="button" value="Submit GET" onclick="doForm()">

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.