Regarding PHP objects method chaining...

Hall of Famer

Well I am trying to design a class called database, which will significantly reduces the amount of codes/lines running mysql query in a script file. The object methods are basically mysql operations such as create(), select(), update(), insert(), delete() and so on. I have two possible approaches to execute mysql queries, and lemme illustrate point with the 'select from table' method:

Approach 1: Write everything inside a gigantic method, such as select()

class Database{
   // codes
   public function select($table, $columns, $index, $where, $comparison, $logic, $returntype, $extra){
  // codes to return a highly customized query string, then execute this query, and finally returns any type as specified in $returntype(field, string, row, assoc, array or object)
  // the codes are extremely long here...
  } 
  // more codes
}

// to return an array, for instance, the following line may be written to retrieve database info:
$db = new Database($databasehost, $userName, $userPassword, $databaseName);
$array = $db->select("users", array("password", "email"), true, array("id" => 1, "username" => "admin"), "=", "AND","ARRAY", "LIMIT = 1"); 

Approach 2: Use Object Method Chaining

class Database{
  private $method, $table, $column, $where, $comparison, $logic, $limit, $returntype;
  public function select($column == "*"){
  // simple codes here
  }
  public function table($table){
  // simple codes here
  }
  public function where($where){
  // simple codes here
  }
  public function comparison($comparison){
  // simple codes here
  }
  public function logic($logic){
  // simple codes here
  }
  public function limit($limit){
  // simple codes here
  }
  public function result($method){
  // execute the query and is ready to fetch
  }
  public function fetch($returntype){
  // fetch rows, assoc, array, objects or else based on return type
  }
}

// to return an array, for instance, we execute multiple methods altogether:
$db = new Database($databasehost, $userName, $userPassword, $databaseName);
$array = $db->select(array("password", "email"))->table("user")->where(array("id" => 1, "username" => "admin" )) -> comparison("=") -> logic("AND") => limit(1) -> result() -> fetch("ARRAY");

Both approaches are likely to work on my site, but I do not know which one is considered more professional and which one runs better performance-wise. The first approach is quite complicated to use for another programmer, but it may be more efficient. The second approach is more readable and flexible, while I wonder if running a chain of object methods will consume a huge amount of CPU and bandwidth. Can anyone of you please gimme your points of view on this? Thank you so much.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.