Left join confusion

rockinaway

I have a normal query for the database and I was to do a left join. However, the data in this left join needs to be ordered first and only the latest values take (i.e. only one value taken).

I'm confused if I can include an order by for the left join and a where clause with it as well.

Would it be better to just have another query?

Okay, I've worked on it, and it's having the desired effect currently, but I want to check the query is doing what I hope it is:

$query = 'SELECT t.mind, m.id, m.first_name, m.last_name
											FROM users AS m
											LEFT JOIN minds AS t ON t.u_id = m.id
					       					WHERE m.email = "'.$email_sent.'"
					       					ORDER BY t.time DESC LIMIT 1';

So I want to collect data from the users table for that one user. And then I want to get the information from the minds table. In the minds table, each user has several rows and so I want to order them in descending order by their time and then take the first one and add it to the rest of the user data..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.