Problem updating database records

php-newbies

Hello all.

Please I need help to update customer table. I get the texboxes populated with select query no problem.

I have html page with a search box and when the user enter their first name or last name and click search it will call up the search.php file here is the file:

This code below populate the textboxes to be updated:

<?php

if(isset($_POST['submit'])){ 
     if(isset($_GET['go'])){ 
     if(preg_match("^/[A-Za-z]+/", $_POST['name'])){ 
      $name=$_POST['name']; 
     } 
     } 
     else{ 
     echo  "<p>Please enter a search query</p>"; 
     } 
   }
//connect  to the database 

$con = mysql_connect("localhost","dbusrn","dbpwd");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

mysql_select_db("mydb", $con);
$name = $_POST['name'];
$result = mysql_query ("select * from Customer_Registration where Firstname like '%$name%' or lastname like '%$name%' ");

$row = mysql_fetch_row($result);
$cf_uid = $row[0];
$Firstname = $row[6];
$lastname = $row[7];
$Address = $row[8];
$Postcode = $row[9];
$Phone = $row[10];
$Email = $row[11];
$Customer_Type = $row[12];
$Computer_type = $row[13];
$Computer_maker = $row[14];
$Model = $row[15];
$OS = $row[16];
$Appointment_date = $row[17];
$Problem = $row[18];
$Solution = $row[19];
$Comment = $row[20];
?>

<form action="updatecus1.php" method="post">

<table width="100%" border="2" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="8">

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Customer ID:</td>
<td width="55%"><?php echo $cf_uid;?></td></tr>
<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">First name:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Firstname" type="text" value="<?php echo $Firstname;?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Last name:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="lastname" type="text" value="<?php echo $lastname;?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Address:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Address" type="text" value="<?php echo $Address; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Postcode:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Postcode" type="text" value="<?php echo $Postcode; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Phone:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Phone" type="text" value="<?php echo $Phone; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Email:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Email" type="text" value="<?php echo $Email; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Customer:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Customer_type" type="text" value="<?php echo $Customer_Type; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Computer :</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Computer_type" type="text" value="<?php echo $Computer_type; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Manufactural:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Computer_maker" type="text" value="<?php echo $Computer_maker; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Model:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Model" type="text" value="<?php echo $Model; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Operating System:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="First name" type="text" value="<?php echo $OS; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Appointment:</td>
<td width="55%"><input  name="Operating System" type="text" value="<?php echo $Appointment_date; ?>"?> </td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Problem:</td>
<td width="55%"><textarea name="Problem" rows="10" cols="20" ><?php echo $Problem; ?></textarea></td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Solution:</td>
<td width="55%"><textarea name="Solution" rows="10" cols="20" ><?php echo $Solution; ?></textarea></td></tr>

<tr><td width="45%" class="FormText">Comment:</td>
<td width="55%"><textarea name="Comment" rows="10" cols="20" ><?php echo $Comment; ?></textarea></td></tr>

<td width="55%"><input name="submit"  value="submit"  type="submit" <br> <input type="Submit" value="Cancel"</br></td>

</form>
         <?php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The update.php file have the following code:

<?php
//connect  to the database 

$con = mysql_connect("localhost","dbusrn","dbpwd");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

mysql_select_db("mydb", $con);

if (isset($_POST['submit']))  {

$cf_uid  = $_POST['cf_uid'];
$Firstname = $_POST['Firstname'];
$lastname = $_POST['lastname'];
$Address = $_POST['Address'];
$Postcode = $_POST['Postcode'];
$Phone = $_POST['Phone'];
$Email = $_POST['Email'];
$Customer_Type = $_POST['Customer_Type'];
$Computer_type = $_POST['Computer_type'];
$Computer_maker = $_POST['Computer_maker'];
$Model = $_POST['Model'];
$OS = $_POST['OS'];
$Appointment_date = $_POST['Appointment_date'];
$Problem = $_POST['Problem'];
$Solution = $_POST['Solution'];
$Comment = $_POST['Comment'];

$query = "UPDATE Customer SET  Firstname='$Firstname',lastname='$lastname',Address='$Address',Postcode='$Postcode',Phone='$Phone',Email='$Email',Customer_Type='$Customer_Type',Computer_type='$Computer_type',Computer_maker='$Computer_maker',Model='$Model',OS='$OS',
Appointment_date='$Appointment_date',Problem='$Problem',Solution='$Solution',Comment='$Comment' WHERE cf_uid='$cf_uid '";

mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
mysql_close($con);

echo "<p>Congrats Record Updated</p>";
}
?>

I got congrats record updated but in actual fact no record are updated.

Please help

MOD EDIT: code tags added.

Ok, now its time to echo the query string and make sure it contains the values you'd expect it to contain. If it does, try pasting it into phpMyAdmin and see if you get a different outcome.

Thanks. I have echo the string. Result below:

UPDATE Customer_Registration SET Firstname='Dave',lastname='anderson',Address='56 Collington road',Postcode='SE34 5FG',Phone='078564258',Email='dave43@hotmail.com',Customer_Type='',Computer_type='Laptop',Computer_maker='Dell',Model='1534',OS='', Appointment_date='',Problem='My pc is really slow. driving my crazy',Solution='wref43g',Comment='wedwf4f' WHERE cf_uid=29

Congrats Record Updated

I noticed that Appointment_date, Customer_Type and OS does not return any value.  Still the table is not updated.

As far as the empty values go, in your form markup, the name= attribute for the OS field is set to 'First name', and for appointment date it's set to 'Operating System'. For the issue of nothing being updated, I don't see anything syntactically wrong with the query, but you're running the SELECT query against the `Customer_Registration` table, then attempting to UPDATE the `Customer` table. Is that intentional? If it is, why have multiple tables with the same data?

As far as the empty values go, in your form markup, the name= attribute for the OS field is set to 'First name', and for appointment date it's set to 'Operating System'. For the issue of nothing being updated, I don't see anything syntactically wrong with the query, but you're running the SELECT query against the `Customer_Registration` table, then attempting to UPDATE the `Customer` table. Is that intentional? If it is, why have multiple tables with the same data?

Thanks all working now lol.

The only way that could happen, unless there's other code running somewhere, is if there is more than one record with the same cf_uid value.

first name and last name are different, but I have use the same email. I only have 2 set of code. The first one populate the form and the second update the records. I will try to use unique values and see what happens

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.