htmlspecialchars

UnknownPlayer

Don't use htmlentities() to insert.  Use it when you want to display data but don't want HTML.  If you want to store legitimate HTML then store it as is.  There is no concern with storing HTML, the concern is when you display it in a browser.  If you don't want HTML then either reject it and don't insert it or striptags().

Don't use htmlentities() to insert.  Use it when you want to display data but don't want HTML.  If you want to store legitimate HTML then store it as is.  There is no concern with storing HTML, the concern is when you display it in a browser.  If you don't want HTML then either reject it and don't insert it or striptags().

sorry, my answer was unclear, escape data to be inserted, use htmlentities to output.. however it would still be acceptable to use htmlentities before database insertion.. just wouldn't be as clean/organized.

htmlspecialchars() is similar to htmlentities() except that it only translates 5 characters.  You don't need it if you use htmlentities().  And as I said before, you shouldn't use it on data going to the database.  Use it when displaying if you don't want the data rendered as HTML.  If the data should not contain HTML then use striptags() before insert.

HTML entities has an optional charset argument (the 3rd argument) which you can use to specify a charset for the function to use in its conversion. It seems to me you have a charset problem, so check out the manual entry on htmlentities: http://php.net/manual/en/function.htmlentities.php

and look at the examples which specify a charset, and look at the charsets that PHP supports. I am not very knowledgeable on what characters are in what charsets, so this is just a guess, but ISO-8859-15 may be what you need

Did you not read his post? You need to specify the charset when you call htmlentities

Better yet - don't use htmlentities(). Characters like 'žšđčć' don't need to be encoded assuming you've declared the page is UTF-8 in the META and your database uses UTF-8. Instead, use htmlspecialchars. It's safe by default to use with most common encodings.

Calling htmlspecialchars() on data you grab from the database ensures that someone hasn't put rouge data into your database, and avoided any checks you put in while inserting.

I would not suggest using strip_tags, as you are leaving yourself open to any future vulnerabilities found in that function.

If you must have formatting, use BBCode. There's tons of support for it.

I suggest using XSS-prevention methods when you echo your data. If you do it on insertion, and someone finds a way to inject data that bypasses that insertion call, you will be open to XSS. Instead, perform the htmlspecialchars() or strip_tags() call when you want to output the data.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.