Where to insert wordwrap in php file

keighdesign

I want to limit the length of an author's name in a display to 10 characters - using two lines if necessary for full display. I know I can use wordwrap of some sort to do that. However, I am not sure where/how to accomplish it. Can it be inserted in the following (and if so, where/what do I insert, specifically):

<?php _e('Order by','authors') ?>:<br />
		<label for="authors-order-<?php echo $number; ?>-name"><input type="radio" class="radio" id="authors-order-<?php echo $number; ?>-name" name="widget-authors[<?php echo $number; ?>][order]" value="name"<?php echo 'name' == $order || '' == $order ? ' checked="checked"' : '' ?> /> <?php _e('Display name','authors' ) 
?></label>

NOTE: I have attached the full code in a text file if I've selected the wrong snip.

Thank you!

[attachment deleted by admin]

UPDATE: I HAVE ATTACHED AN IMAGE FILE THAT SHOWS THE CURRENT PROBLEM IN DISPLAY

I want to limit the length of an author's name in a display to 10 characters - using two lines if necessary for full display. I know I can use wordwrap of some sort to do that. However, I am not sure where/how to accomplish it. Can it be inserted in the following (and if so, where/what do I insert, specifically):

<?php _e('Order by','authors') ?>:<br />
		<label for="authors-order-<?php echo $number; ?>-name"><input type="radio" class="radio" id="authors-order-<?php echo $number; ?>-name" name="widget-authors[<?php echo $number; ?>][order]" value="name"<?php echo 'name' == $order || '' == $order ? ' checked="checked"' : '' ?> /> <?php _e('Display name','authors' ) 
?></label>

NOTE: I have attached the full code in a text file if I've selected the wrong snip.

Thank you!

[attachment deleted by admin]

So the actual problem is the size of the <select>, yes? Can you not use CSS to restrict, or even flat-out declare, its width to fit appropriately?

This is a widget inside the latest version of Wordpress. CSS would have to be inline. Would I add the css in this section? I am not a php coder and am hesitant to start hacking around inside it. Please advise and thank you so much for your time.

function widget_authors_dropdown($args = '') {
	$args['echo'] = false;
	unset($args['feed']);
	$arr = widget_authors_order_by($args);
	$options = '';
	foreach ($arr as $author) {
		preg_match('#<a href="([^"]*)"[^>]*>([^<]*)</a>( \(([0-9]*)\))?#', $author, $matches);
		$options .= '<option value="'.htmlspecialchars($matches[1]).'">'.$matches[2].($args['optioncount'] ? ' ('.$matches[4].')' : '').'</option>'."\n";
	}
	unset($arr);
	$dropdown = '<select onchange="window.location=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value">'."\n";
	$dropdown .= '<option value="#">'.__('Select Author...', 'authors').'</option>'."\n";
	$dropdown .= $options;
	$dropdown .= '</select>';
	echo $dropdown;
}

It worked perfectly!! Thank you!

Would I add the css in this section?

$dropdown = '<select onchange="window.location=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value">'."\n";

Right in there. For example,

$dropdown = '<select style="display:block;width:100%;" onchange="window.location=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value">'."\n";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.