mysql_escape_string and mysql_real_escape_string not working

Tryptamine

Hello all, I'm attempting to secure a script to prevent against SQL Injections. But for some reason the code I'm using is not correctly escaping malicious characters.

Here's a section of the code I'm using (the beginning) that first pulls the data from the database:

include 'include/dbconnect.php';
include 'include/funcs.php';
if (isset($_GET['gid'])) {
$galleryid = cleanvar($_GET['gid']);
$sql = "select * from galleries where id = $galleryid";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
if ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
	$galleryid = $row['id'];
	$gallerytitle = $row['title'];

the cleanvar function is located in funcs.php, and this is what it looks like:

function cleanvar ($var) {
return stripslashes(mysql_real_escape_string($var));
}

magic_quotes_gpc is on, so that is why I added stripslashes, but for some reason whenever I go to the script and attempt to inject into it with a single or double quote, I still get a syntax error, enabling me to successfully inject.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

You should have a switch in your code to check if magic quotes are turned on before utilizing strip_slashes. But, in any event you should run strip_slashes before you run mysql_real_escape_string().

Although I would suggest using a function that automatically removes any modification due to magic quotes on all input (see the manual), try this

function cleanvar ($var)
{
    if (get_magic_quotes_gpc())
    {
        $var = stripslashes($var);
    }
   return mysql_real_escape_string($var);
}

Also, why are you using mysql_real_escape_string() on an "id" field? If that's an id field I would expect it is an integer value. mysql_real_escape_string() is meant for string input. SO, you should validate/force the value to be an integer. One option is to cast the value as an integer

$galleryid = (int) $_GET['gid'];

Or use the intval() function

Thanks for the quick reply, I tried the new function, but still got the same error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '\'' at line 1

Also that's a good point about the int value, I will try that next.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.