Internal ip?

renfley

Hey guys quick question.

I have one static ip address that if i put in the broswer it will forward to the internal ip of my server and will  display my website which is located on my server.

In my house i also have a development pc which is accessibal within my local network and i would like to be able to view it from my website in an iframe or something.

My goal is to just go to my website have a page which will load the local internal ip of my dev pc and display my wamp folder. so i can show my clients the progress on their site.

I know this is now good practice but this is just and simplified example of what i am trying to achieve.

I would like to display te internal ipaddress on my webserver so that when im on the road i can simply click a link on my website and display the content of my dev pc wamp server?

Is ther a special link that i need to use?  Is this possible with or without PHP? Should i use an iframe?

You will need to configure your router for this.

Does your ISP supply you with a static IP address? If so, you need to open a port on your router that will forward all incoming traffic to your internal IP address. If not, some routers support a thing called DDNS, this is basically a "gateway" that your router talks to so when somebody connects to your DDNS site, it knows (from your router) what your external IP address is.

Port 80 is the regular HTTP port, but I would advise against opening this up.. Pick a non-reserved (preferred) port to forward.

What you could do is run a HTTP server straight off your IP address and then create a symbolic link (short cut) inside your htdocs directory to the folder that you want to show clients. The only issue you will have here is hyperlinks set to /example will hook onto your IP address and not the root directory folder for your site.... You can work around this by using "../" instead, but if your already deep into development it might be a bit of a kent do as you would have allot of hyperlinks to change.

EDIT:

Hang on I am tripping hard!

You can just start a web server yourself on a non-standard port like Buddski suggested, and access it from the internet, and yeah, you will need to port forward. Then, just password protect the site.

It will be a piece of cake. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.