continuous array - push,merge???

cindreta

i am working on this search engine. and in the advanced section you can turn on/off some of the options. So it you turn on an option it will search another table and so on.

Instead of building a massive query and left joining lots of stuff. I tried a different approach.

There is always a basic query and it returns the results to an array like this

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT SQL_CACHE id FROM table WHERE field LIKE '$getquery' ORDER BY field");
  while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)) {						
     $idArray[] = $row['id'];				
  } mysql_free_result($sql);

and if something is turned on then it adds something like this:

if($_POST['value'] == "1") {
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT SQL_CACHE table1_relation_id FROM table2 WHERE field2 LIKE '$getquery' ORDER BY field2");
    $idArray[] .= $row['table1_relation_id'];				
} //end if

so basicy i just continue the array and it keeps pumping ids into a big aray. after that i run array_unique and remove all duplicate results and then i foreach and get the whole item info ased on every id. it runs pretty fast.

now i would like to make the second one a function. but when i do that it does not work.

function sample($query, $table, $field) {
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT SQL_CACHE naziv_id FROM ".$table." WHERE ".$field." LIKE '$query'");			
		$return[] .= $row['naziv_id'];

return $return;				

}

before i put it into a function $idArray vas a single continuous array. And if i try to do it like this:

$arr[] = sample($query, "table1", "filed_id");
$arr[] .= sample($query, "table2", "filed_id");

it returns the result of the first array ok but if there are more then one results in other arrays it returns and arary inside of the array.

like this:

array(4) { [0]=> array(2) { [0]=> string(4) "9057" [1]=> string(5) "14186" } [1]=> string(5) "Array" [2]=> string(5) "Array" [3]=> string(0) "" } 

and all i wanna have is a single id variable that has all the id's in it. like $array = 1,2,3,4,5 but from different sources/functions

can you help? thank you so much.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.