Block SQL Injection Attacks

jend91

Hey Guys,

Hope you are all having a great day :)

I was hoping somebody could help me with preventing my blog from being attacked by SQL Injection. I made a simple blog in using PHP and MySQL but I keep getting spam comments (even though I use re-captcha) and some files were overwritten on my web server. For all my input I use mysql_real_escape_string but I still get the problem.

I found a video on youtube that showed how to enter stuff on the address bar like "order by 2--" and "union all select...." after passing a variable etc, and all of the things in the video could be replicated on my site :(  I am guessing that is my problem, but the video did not tell me how to resolve the issue and I am sick of having to delete hundreds of spam comments per day and check my web server for uploaded files.

How can I stop people adding these commands to the address bar and getting data from my database?  I really need your help :'(

Thanx,

Jen

The function i created, i often use in my project is

<?php
function sanitize($var,$sanitize='1')
{
   //sanitizing
   $var = str_replace("\\","",$var);
    if($sanitize=='1')
   {
	   if(function_exists("filter_var"))
	   {
		   $returnvar=filter_var($var, FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING);

}else{
		   $returnvar=$var;
	   }
   }else{
	  $returnvar=$var;
   }
   if(!get_magic_quotes_gpc()){
	   $returnvar=addslashes($returnvar);
   }
   //using mysql reql escape string
   if(function_exists("mysql_real_escape_string"))
   {
	   $returnvarfinal=mysql_real_escape_string($returnvar);
   }else{
	   $returnvarfinal=addslashes($returnvar);
   }

// return $returnvarfinal;
   return $returnvar;
} ?>

In your submit page, you use like this.

$var=sanitize($_POST["somevariable"]);

But limitation of this function is that your server should have php v5 installed and filter_var function must be enabled. But for numeral data you need to validate that the source contains numeric value only.

Hope this will give you some idea

Hey,

Thanks for the replies.  On my homepage, I show the blog article.  Each article title is a link to a comments page where people can post comments and see comments left by others.  The link I use on the homepage is:

echo '<a href="blogarticle.php?aID='.$aID.'"><h1>'.$row['articletitle'].'</h1></a>

When I click this link I go to the comments page the url looks like: http://www.mysite.com/blogarticle.php?aID=25

Somebody can modify this to be http://www.mysite.com/blogarticle.php?aID=25 order by 2-- and it will return a value.  Then there is all the other stuff like union all select 1,2,3,4-- etc that is also allowed

On my comments page, I am using this line to grab the value:

$aID = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['aID']);

I tried to use the function on my localhost but it did not work.  I am running wamp server with PHP version 5.3.  I am not sure how to check if the filter_var is enabled though?

Thanx,

Jen

Hey guys,

I have added an if statement that says if it is not numeric (!is_numeric) then redirect to the homepage using the header function, else grab the value.  I have tested and it seems to be working so will see if I am getting any more spam over the next couple of days.

Thanks for your help,

Jen

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.