Display latest 10 results on search page before searching

bruisr

I have a search page and everything works fine but I would like to add the latest 10 rows to the page so there is something to look at or click on before the user searches.

The page is at: www.giantstridedives.com/locations. You can see that it's pretty boring. Hit submit and you'll see the entries so far (only 3 right now). I'd like to have the latest 10 display there by default but then when a user searches they are replaced by the search results. Make sense?

Here's the code I'm using for the search:

<?php
if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

require_once('dbconnection.php'); 
mysqli_select_db($conn, $dbname); 
$searchterm = $_POST['search']; 
$searchterm = strip_tags($searchterm);
$searchterm = trim ($searchterm);
$q ="SELECT * FROM locations WHERE loc_name LIKE '%" . $searchterm . "%' AND loc_approved != '0'"; 
$r = mysqli_query($conn, $q) or die(mysql_error($q)); 
$row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($r); 
$rowcount = mysqli_num_rows($r);
}
?>

<h1>Search for Scuba Dive Locations</h1>
<form id="searchform" name="searchform" method="post" action="index.php">  
    <input type="text" name="search" id="search_bar" />
    <input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" value="Submit" /> </form>
<span style="color: #333;">Search for the name of the location, ie: Devils Den or USS Oriskany.</span><br />    

<?php 
if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

if ($rowcount == 0)  
{
echo "Sorry, but we can not find an entry to match your query: <strong>$searchterm</strong>";
}
else { //this tells the table below to display since $totalRows_Products_res is not 0
?> 
<table style="font-size: 14px;" border="0" width="650">
<tr>
  <td colspan="6"><p>You searched for <strong><?php echo $searchterm; ?></strong>. Results are displayed below.</p></td>
</tr>
<tr>
  <td><strong>Location Name</strong></td>
  <td><strong>City</strong></td>
  <td><strong>State</strong></td>
  <td><strong>Depth (ft)</strong></td>
  <td><strong>Fees</strong></td>
  <td><strong>Gear Rentals</strong></td>
  <td><strong>Map</strong></td>
</tr>
<?php do { ?>
  <tr>
   <td><a href="loc_details.php?loc_id=<?php echo $row ['loc_id']; ?>">
<?php echo $row ['loc_name']; ?> </a></td>
<td><?php echo $row ['loc_city']; ?></td>
<td><?php echo $row ['loc_state']; ?></td>
<td><?php echo $row ['loc_depth']; ?></td>
<td>$<?php echo $row ['loc_fee']; ?></td>
<td><?php if($row['loc_gear'] == 1) {
	echo 'Yes';
} else { echo 'No'; } ?></td>
<td><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=<?php echo $row ['loc_lat'];?>,<?php echo $row ['loc_lon'];?>" target="_blank">View Map</a></td>
   </tr>
  <?php } while ($row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($r)); ?>
</table>
<?php 
mysqli_free_result($r); 
} // this closes out results else
}
?>

I figure I can use the below query to get the results.

select * from table WHERE id >  ((SELECT MAX(id) from table) - 10);

I'm just not sure how I can display them by default and then have them be replaced by the search results.  Anyone have any ideas for me? As always I appreciate the help as I continue to learn this beast.

No, you would ORDER the results by their date and then use LIMIT to get only 10. At least if you want the last 10 records you should have a date. Otherwise you could use the ID value - but that is not the proper method. Just replace 'date' with 'id in the provided query below.

The following fixes a lot of problems with your code that I'm too lazy to go into right now. But, let me know if you have any questions

<?php

//Define count of records to show by default
$recentResultLimit = 10;

require_once('dbconnection.php'); 
mysqli_select_db($conn, $dbname); 

//Create and run query
if (isset($_POST['search']))
{
$searchterm = mysql_real_escape_string(trim($_POST['search']));
$query = "SELECT * FROM locations WHERE loc_name LIKE '%{$searchterm}%' AND loc_approved != '0'"; 
}
else
{
$query = "SELECT * FROM locations WHERE loc_approved != '0' ORDER BY date DESC LIMIT {$recentResultLimit}"; 
}
$result = mysqli_query($conn, $query) or die(mysql_error($query));

//Generate message and output
$message = '';
if(isset($_POST['search']))
{
    $resultCount = mysqli_num_rows($result);
    if($resultCount==0)
    {
        $message = "Sorry, but we can not find an entry to match your query: <strong>{$searchterm}</strong>";
    }
    else
    {
        $message = "Your search for <strong>{$searchterm}</strong> returned {$resultCount} results.";
    }
}
else
{
    $message = "Here are the {$recentResultLimit} most recent results.";
}

$output = '';
while($row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result))
{
    $rentals = ($row['loc_gear'] == 1) ? 'Yes' : 'No';
    $output .= "<tr>\n";
    $output .= "<td><a href='loc_details.php?loc_id={$row['loc_id']}'>{$row['loc_name']}</a></td>\n";
    $output .= "<td>{$row['loc_city']}</td>\n";
    $output .= "<td>{$row['loc_state']}</td>\n";
    $output .= "<td>{$row['loc_depth']}</td>\n";
    $output .= "<td>\${$row['loc_fee']}</td>\n";
    $output .= "<td>$rentals</td>\n";
    $output .= "<td><a href='http://maps.google.com/maps?q={$row['loc_lat']},{$row['loc_lon']}' target='_blank'>View Map</a></td>\n";
    $output .= "</tr>\n";
}

mysqli_free_result($result);

?>

<h1>Search for Scuba Dive Locations</h1>
<form id="searchform" name="searchform" method="post" action="index.php">  
<input type="text" name="search" id="search_bar" />
<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" value="Submit" /> </form>
<span style="color: #333;">Search for the name of the location, ie: Devils Den or USS Oriskany.</span><br />    

<table style="font-size: 14px;" border="0" width="650">
<tr>
  <td colspan="7"><p><?php echo $message; ?></p></td>
</tr>
<tr>
  <th>Location Name</th>
  <th>City</th>
  <th>State</th>
  <th>Depth (ft)</th>
  <th>Fees</th>
  <th>Gear Rentals</th>
  <th>Map</th>
</tr>
<?php echo $output; ?>
</table>

No, you would ORDER the results by their date and then use LIMIT to get only 10. At least if you want the last 10 records you should have a date. Otherwise you could use the ID value - but that is not the proper method. Just replace 'date' with 'id in the provided query below.

mjdamato you're the man. Thanks for that. I did need to change from date to id since I don't have a date field set up. I should do that though, so thanks for reminding me about that.

It worked perfectly to display the latest results but when I did a search, it returned this error at the top of the page:

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() [function.mysql-real-escape-string]: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in C:\websites\giantstridedives\locations\index.php on line 12

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() [function.mysql-real-escape-string]: A link to the server could not be established in C:\websites\giantstridedives\locations\index.php on line 12

I removed the 'mysql_real_escape_strings()' code and it worked. After doing some searching, I found someone who said "Turns out i needed a database link in code before the rest. " I assume that he means the connection to the database. So after taking the advice in your signatures, I checked the php.net on mysql_real_escape_strings() and found an example that had a 'mysql_connect()' before the escape strings. So I added it above that line:

mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass);
$searchterm = mysql_real_escape_string(trim($_POST['search']));

Problem solved.

Thanks again for your help!  :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.