is there a way to ensure unique entries added to db

mpsn

Hi, I am frustrated with getting db to store just unique entries, b/c every time I refresh the browser, the script runs and re-inserts the SAME INSERT query (but with different primary key of course which I don't want).

My ques is is there a way upon the first insertion to tell it that this will be only instance of this record entered for the specified db table.

So I don't want to have to encapsulate each INSERT statement in an if block to make sure that only one record exists so now I am doing it incorrectly with exit statement.

please see code below:

<?php
$_filePath="C:\\\dir\\\email.xml";
$node=basename($_filePath);
$dom=new DOMDocument();
$dom->load($node);
$labelPath=array();
$connection=mysql_connect("localhost","root");
mysql_select_db("dummydpev999");
$isXdocExist=mysql_query("SELECT file_Path,file_Name FROM xdocument WHERE file_Path='$_filePath' AND file_Name='$node'");

$docId=0;

if(mysql_num_rows($isXdocExist)==1) {
print "Entry already exists!";
$docId=mysql_next_id("xdocument")-1;
print "<br />".$docId;
exit;
}
else {
mysql_query("INSERT INTO xdocument (file_Path,file_Name) VALUES ('$_filePath','$node')");
$docId=mysql_next_id("xdocument")-1;	
print "<br />".$docId;
}

writeXMLtoDBViaDOM($dom->documentElement,$labelPath,$docId);
?>

Sorry I should elaborate, I think my problem is that I have tables with foreign keys rather than all tables with just primary keys, I am unsure...

Any help much appreciated.

What if you were to take the full path name with the file name say "/path/to/file/filename" and create a signature using md5. Then make the table's primary key the signature and make sure the unique flag is set. So:

<?php
$file_sig = md5($path.$file);
?>

Then you could drop any auto-increment id-type column on this table.

Sorry I will be more clear, what I mean is that I have 4 db tables, table1 has PK, table2 has PK, table3 has PK and refs table1,table2 (so it has 2 FKs) and table4 has PK and refs table3

In short, I want to store xml to db and each node component is stored in these tables but table1 just stores the xml file name (something.xml and filepath: c:\dir\dir1\something.xml)

As you can see above, I have an if($isXdocExist) that ensures just one of the something.xml is loaded b/c each time I reload the browser, the script re-enters SAME entries for table3, table4 and NOT table1, table2, so that is why I suspect is the FK causing issue.

Any help much appreciated!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.