PHP loops

BlackSparrow

Did PHP a few years ago and for the life of me i can't work out why this doesn't work:

for ( $counter2=1; $counter2 < 1000; $counter2++) 
{
   for ( $counter1=1; $counter1 < 1000; $counter1++) 
   {
      echo "Fixed bug";
   }
}

and yet this does

for ( $counter2=1; $counter2 < 100; $counter2++) 
{
   for ( $counter1=1; $counter1 < 100; $counter1++) 
   {
      echo "Fixed bug";
   }
}

I tested it because I have a rather large amount of data to retrieve from an XML file and i kept receiving errors

the first code sample is essentially looping 1,000,000 times..

You're in essence outputting

10^6*strlen('fixed bug');

which obviously will be ALOT of data, its a little over 8mb, which could be timing out for you..

the php code is obviously good.. Also, your server may be preventing you from sending files bigger than a certain amount (many servers do have this limitation.. especially shared hosting, mostly to prevent file sharing and media streaming)

but if it is NOT that problem, than, I hope you can find a solution here at PHPFreaks :)

Oh ok well I basically have 1000 rows and each row has 10 columns.

I would like to be able to collect this data from the xml file and display it (use it in list boxes etc)

so I figured this would be a way of doing that (obviously not the two loops above but a loop to go over all rows and another nested loop to go though the cells).

But if it a file size return issue (I'm just running this on a test account at award space so its very possible that it is and thanks for pointing that out to me) then I wonder how I can get around it?

You can possibly contact the support for your web hosting, as you're a shared hosting I'm more than sure you don't have access to modify apache config files, etc..

I don't think your web hosting will lift this limitation, as on shared hosting you're not the only 1 using that 1 installation of apache, However, its still a good idea to talk to them, as it could be something else (dunno what else, but its always possible)..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.