mail functionality

gple

hello,

I am running php locally on my machine but it seems that when I try to call mail () function, I get error messages. I believe that I need to set up a mail server on my machine. Is that an accurate statement? whats the easiest way to do this? Is having OUTLOOK installed on the machine sufficient?

Yes, you need to install a mail server or use a remote one if you have a hosting account somewhere

if you have outlook installed, and you configured an email address there and using it, if you know the SMTP server and such, you can just head to your php.ini file and change to that email server instead of local host

ok, so i pulled the SMTP and host and added it to my php.ini. restarted apache and now get this:

[Mon Nov 07 11:09:22 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:  mail() [<a href='function.mail'>function.mail</a>]: SMTP server response: 550 bosauthsmtp13: Host 108.14.81.2: No unauthenticated relaying permitted in C:\\Program Files\\Apache Software Foundation\\Apache2.2\\htdocs\\add_contact.php on line 49, referer: http://localhost/index.php?func=4

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.