Reservation issue

Cauton

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for trying to help me.

I'm an IT student in Rotterdam, and I've got a little problem here. It's probably basic to most of you guys, but I've only been working with php for the past 3 months or so.

I'm making a website for some company, and they want a reservation system. I've created everything so far, except for the fact that you can actually double book. Can you guys tell me how to make sure you can't book a reservation when that time is used by another reservation? Preferably even, when making the reservation, the reserved times aren't even chooseable.

In my database I have the current info:

table: reservations

id (PK, UQ, A_I)

date (date)

starting time (time example: 09:00:00)

ending time (time example: 10:00:00)

~Some other random information needed by that company~

Now it doesn't need to come to minutes or seconds, you can only reserve for whole hours, from and untill the hour.

I made the script that puts everything in the database and everything, I just need a little script on how to check if the time on the date you selected earlier (it's like a step system, step 1 select date, step 2 select time, step 3 fill in other random info) is already reserved, and to make sure the reserved times don't appear into the dropdown menu for the times.

I hope you guys can help me.

You need to try a SELECT query on the date/time/whatever it is that would indicate a conflict before attempting to INSERT a new reservation.  Something like (pseudo-code, adjust to fit your needs):

$query = "SELECT id FROM reservations WHERE day = $day AND start_time >= $start_time AND end_time <= $end_time";

When you run the query, count the number of rows it returns.  If it's >= 1, you have reservation(s) booked already:

$result = mysql_query($query);

if (mysql_num_rows($result) >= 1)
{
   // error: something has already been reserved
}
else
{
   // insert new reservation
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.