Echoing back HTML tags from MySql database to respect HTML tags?

galvin

Say I have the following text stored in a MySQL database...

<b>Classic Quote from movie</b>

and I retrieve it into a variable called $text, how do I properly echo that so that it keeps the bold tags and actually display the text "Classic quote from movie" in BOLD?

I'm doing something wrong somewhere along the line (simply doing "echo $text;") because it displays on the page as...

<b>Classic Quote from movie</b>

Instead of...

Classic Quote from movie

Any info on properly storing and echoing back HTML would be very appreciated.

There's nothing specific to storing/retrieving data or php that would prevent what you are doing from working.

You likely have some code that is using htmlentities or htmlspecialchars on the data, which converts the < and > into html entities and they are not rendered by the browser. What does a 'view source' in your browser of the non-working <b>Classic Quote from movie</b> show?

Thanks, after some tinkering I got it to do the bold properly.  Not really sure what I did wrong at first, but it's working as I expected now.  At one point, the code was getting echoed back into an h2 tag, so EVERYTHING was bold and that was throwing me off as well  :-\

Also, i noticed these strange characters in the MySQL table where the stuff is stored.  I assumed this is normal and just how MySQL stores it.  If this is bad for some reason, please let me know :)

<p>Prove you’re a loyal member of the team and “the leagueâ€

Anyway, thanks for answering!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.