if ... elseif ... else - not working!

Hyperjase

Hiya,

Trying to get this working based on a drop down posted from the step before.  Three options are dropoff, collect and ship.  This code always defaults to the first option, despite the fact that echoing the session shows the correct choice has been passed through.

Here's what I have:

if ($_SESSION['collection'] = "dropoff") {
	echo "Please drop it off with us";
} elseif ($_SESSION['collection'] = "collect") {
	echo "Please collect it from me";
} else {
	echo "Please ship it to you";
}

Any ideas what I'm missing here?

Thanks!

And, I'll throw this out there . . . even though you only have three options right now, using a series of if . .elseif . . else statements can get messy. This is exactly what the switch() operator is for. This may look to be more work because of the additinoal lines of code, but it will be much more flexible and less error prone.

switch($_SESSION['collection'])
{
    case 'dropoff':
        echo "Please drop it off with us";
        break;
    case 'collect':
        echo "Please collect it from me";
        break;
    case 'ship':
    default:
        echo "Please ship it to you";
        break;
}

I tested out after I posted my reply, it does work, I think I should word it better - it's nested within a case and switch already, so would be a case within a switch which is inside a primary switch and case.  Hopefully that makes it sound easier! Sorry for the confuddlement!

Jason

I tested out after I posted my reply, it does work, I think I should word it better - it's nested within a case and switch already, so would be a case within a switch which is inside a primary switch and case.  Hopefully that makes it sound easier! Sorry for the confuddlement!

Jason

yes, you can have a switch() inside a switch() just like you can have a while() inside a while(), an if() inside an if(), etc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.