Remapping using php and csv files

makenoiz

I'm an intermediate php coder however I have a new situation. I need to do some remapping of categories from CSV files we get from our supplier for our php ecommerce store. We use mySQL back end.

We are importing data from a Supplier and need to remap the category names for our online store. There are 16,000 entries in the CSV file.

This is what I need to do.

1) grab the CSV from the suppliers (from their ftp location)

2) remap the suppliers category names on the acquired CSV to our stores category names. I can either create a new table with the category name relation ships (probably best?) or read my mapping CSV ?

3) save the new CSV to our server where our auto import program can grab it.

Eventually, Id like a cron to run the new script but for now Ill do it manually during testing period.

Thats it! but... as simple as it sounds, I dont know how to start this.

Below is an example of what needs to be dont just to clarify.

PHP Code:

Our Category(A)      |  Their Category(B)    |    Product ©  |  Product Cat (D)      |  New Product Cat (E)

1. dog/leash/long    |    Pet/walking          |        Item A        |    Pet/sleeping|bed    ** This is what we need to get**

2. dog/leash|long    |    Pet/walking          |      Item B          |    Pet/walking

3. dog/leash|long    |    Pet/sleeping bed    |      Item C      |    Pet/walking

Here is my pseudo code:

for each value in Column D (run the test on each value in Column D)
  for each value in B as i ( check each value in Column B)
     if B(i) = D1 then E1 =A(i)
  end for
end for

The new path in this example for Item A would be A3 and would be written to E1.

I have 15,000 entries to do.

Thank you for any help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.