Sub-domain work-around for DOCUMENT_ROOT

simboski19

Hi there,

I am working on a website which has a sub-domain set as a folder and not an actual sub-domain (as my client does not want to do this which is another story). Anyway, all of my links which relate to the DOCUMENT_ROOT are not working. Example below:

www.website.com

www.website.com/admin - my sub-domain in a folder

I can access a page within www.website.com/admin however all links to files, css files etc will not work because the DOCUMENT_ROOT does not inlcude the /admin/.

My question is therefore is there some way of adding in this /admin/ step or fooling php/apache to include this in all files within the /admin/ folder.

Many thanks

Sim

In your main included file (usually config.php)  modify the DOCUMENT_ROOT for that folder, it's not like you cannot append to it...

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .= '/admin/';

Should do it, and as long as that config file is only used in that admin subdirectory, it should not affect the rest of the scripts.

Hi there,

I do apologise I may have explained it poorly. I have actuall got that installed already and that sorts out anywhere I have DOC_ROOT.

My issue is actually anywhere I have a path to a file e.g. /website.css or /website.js it will not reference correctly because it is going back a folder (hope that makes sense).

So I guess my question is can you change the .htaccess or apache to rewrite / to become /admin/???

Thanks (and sorry for the confusion)

Simon

For that you will most likely want to use the base tag, so inside the <head> tag of your html (hopefully it is templated and you have 1 header file or so to change) add the following before the </head>

<base href="http://www.somesite.com/admin/" />
</head>

And that should resolve that problem.

Hi there,

Just tried the base href tag and it didnt work unfortunately. To give some more information here:

- In my .htaccess i have a RewriteBase /admin <- i need this to actually get to the correct files as my structure is:

/ -> root files for front-facing website

/admin/ -> the admin is found within this folder and within here this is where i need to tweak/change the DOC ROOT

- In my header i need to somehow redirect any files from root to /admin/(root now here)

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/css/screen.css" media="screen" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/css/orange/orange.css" media="screen" />

So they would become:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/admin/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/admin/css/screen.css" media="screen" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/admin/css/orange/orange.css" media="screen" />

Thanks

Simon

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.