Is there a way to remove scripts from a string?

simboski19

Is there a way/function to not only remove <script>, <embed> tags etc but also remove the content within the tags so this:

"

some text

<script>

functionhere();

</script>

some more text

"

to this:

"

some text

some more text

"

In effect remove the whole tag and content within the tags? Havent been able to find anything online that works

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Yeah i have tried around 4-5 of these functions that i discovered using Google search but this is slightly above my ability so just wondered if anyone had the same need in the past and a function that works.

Many of the preg_replace functions didnt work replacing all of the content and the tags.

Simon

not the prettiest regex, threw it together in a minute, but it's tested.

<?php
$string = "some text <script> functionhere(); </script> some more text";
$regex = "/<.+>[a-zA-Z0-9]+<\/[a-zA-Z0-9]+>/";
$string = preg_replace($regex,'',$string);
echo $string;
?>

Thanks AyKay47, I will give this a go.

Hi Adam, I need to remove all tags and their content as i need to stop people inserted dangerous scripts into my DB. They were just a few examples but if you have any further suggestions they would be welcomed.

Thanks guys

Simon

Okay, though removing the contents of every tag would leave the posts not making sense. The reason strip_tags() only removes the actual tags, is so that any text in <b>bold</b> for example will still be readable. If you don't want your users to be able to insert HTML, just escape it with htmlspecialchars as you output it.

<?php echo htmlspecialchars($str); ?>

didn't know that you were using it for this purpose. the best method for sanitizing a user input string in my opinion is to escape the special characters beofre inserting the string into your db.. this will disallow sql injection xss etc. you can use filter_var and specify the filter to your liking.. or you can use a combination of htmlspecialchars and mysql_real_escape_string, or really you can also use a regex to either disallow specific special chars, or remove them completely, however the ladder choice isn't very user friendly. Depends on what your logic for this is.

the best method for sanitizing a user input string in my opinion is to escape the special characters beofre inserting the string into your db..

There's no need to escape the data within the database, it won't do any harm there. It would also take up more memory with all the HTML in its entity form. Escaping is only required when you *output* the data. Of course, you should still sanitise the data from SQL injections before using it within a SQL string.

Thanks for the information guys.

One thing though as I am not so clued up with the inserting of data in a safe manor apart from mysql real escape string(). Are you saying that as long as the data is made safe on entering and exiting the database there would never been an issue of security here?

Thanks

Simon

Nope. Saying that if you sanitize the data correctly there won't be any issue of users injecting exploits. One situation to be aware of is when you use numeric data, and don't include quotes within the SQL:

select * from TableName where id = $id;

Here the user could insert an SQL injection, like for example "1 OR 1=1", that would break the where condition logic. This wouldn't be secured against by mysql_real_escape_string() as there's no quotes or special characters used. You need to validate or cast the data as an integer. Obviously in this case it wouldn't do any actual damage, but consider if there was an UPDATE statement with the same exploit...

It's also down to your application code to prevent any logic-based security holes. For example, if the user modified the GET parameters to try and view a page they didn't have permission to see, your application should check this every time.

Security is a very broad subject, I would recommend reading this tutorial for a better understanding.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.