Count Rows

pranshu82202

:confused: Can any one tell me whats the best ( actually error free ) which i can use to count the number of rows finally resulting after select command.

I use this ...

$sql = mysql_query("select * from usname where name1='$name1' and name2='$name2' and amm='$amm'"); 
$num=mysql_num_rows($sql); 
echo $num;

But it always gives the same error.... and the error is..........

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\money\insert.php on line 20

where line 20 is...

$num=mysql_num_rows($sql); 

- Pranshu Agrawal

pranshu.a.11@gmail.com

That error, for the posted code, means that the query failed due to an error of some kind (connection problem, sql syntax error, wrong table/column names, un-escaped string data being put into the query statement.)

You would need to troubleshoot why the query is failing. You can echo mysql_error(); to get php/mysql to tell you why the query is failing.

Thanks PFMaBiSmAd, I got the issue ..... actually the table name i am using is not correct............

Thanks for the help

The logic isn't correct either.  You probably want where name = 'name1' OR name = 'name2'.  A single field can never be the same as two different things.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.