Development advice please

gap8u

Guys,

Thank you for all you do. This really is a great place.

After developing a site and uploading then continuing to update the code, I am looking for a habitual process for updating files while not be afraid of losing the old code in case something goes wrong. I cant seem to get my head around the best method of naming, saving, removing, panicking...etc.

Just looking for your methods of the development process in terms of file organization.

I would list what I do now but I never do the same thing twice....

You guys are unbelievable. Google is awesome. 

I usually just add a number to the front and save as that, keeping the newest code the original name.

After a while i tend to shuffle them off to another drive or burn them...just in case ever needed them.

But you can look into github for keeping your latest code together and up to date.

Download git

gap8u: You should be using version control. And/or a deployment system (which you can also do with version control, somewhat).

You should never just push files to a live server with no fallback plan.

I usually just add a number to the front and save as that, keeping the newest code the original name.

After a while i tend to shuffle them off to another drive or burn them...just in case ever needed them.

Eek.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.