Populating dropdown boxes

cadac

I am trying to figure out how to display member records after selecting it from the box. I've got the dropdown box working which retrieves the members name but cannot figure out how to populate that members details on the same page?

I'm using php/mysql and although I want to display the records I also want a user to update that record aswell, creating it for administrators to update accounts?

Any help would be appreciated :)

I've researched that ajax or javascript might be helpful but not totally familiar with them.

Not sure about the ajax or javascript, but i'd have the value of the option as an id for the person you are selecting from the drop down box, then when you resubmit the page, run a query against your DB using this reference and this will give you the details you need.

ie.

to create dropdown

$result.="<select name='people'><option value='%'>Select</option>";
$sql="SELECT id, forename, surname FROM people ORDER by surname";
$sql=mysql_query($sql);
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($sql)){
	$result.="<option value='".$row['id']."'>".$row['forename']." ".$row['surname']."</option>";
}
$result .="</select>";

then

$sql="SELECT forename, surname FROM employees WHERE id = $_POST['people']";
$sql=mysql_query($sql);
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($sql)){
	$result=$row['forename']." ".$row['surname'];
}

Thanks for the advice, i've managed it using a slightly different piece of code but gets the result i need. Just need to figure out to display single record on the same page without refreshing :/

<?php 

include ('includes/connect.php');

$query = "select member_id, firstname, lastname from members ORDER BY firstname asc";
$result = mysql_query ($query) or die (mysql_error());

echo "<td><b>Select Member: </b></td> <td><SELECT name=\"member-list\">"; 

if (mysql_num_rows($result)>0) 
{
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result))
{ 
echo "<option value='".$row['member_id']."'>".$row['firstname']." ".$row['lastname']."</option>"; 
} 
}
echo "</SELECT></td>";
?> 

I've attached a screenshot of the page im try to populate the selected dropdown names. All I want now is to populate that members record into those textboxes as I have an update script ready to go.

If you can help you would make my day :) Thanks

update.png

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.