Query "WHERE string is blank and date is at least 6 months ago.

Ailis

I'm getting this error "Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/westiehi/public_html/groupBOS.php on line 36"

for this code:

$query_rs_specialty = "SELECT * FROM specialty WHERE Group_Place <> '' and Date>= DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 6 MONTH) ORDER BY Date DESC";

I've tried everything to get this to take records where the one field is blank and the date is greater than a date 6 months ago but nothing seems to work.  Help would sure be appreciated!!

If that PHP error is due to that query failing then you need to view the error generated by the query. Echo mysql_error() to the page after runnign that query. You might have a typo in a field name, maybe the 'Date' field in the database isn't an actual date type, or ???

I was concerned about my script being too long - sorry!  Here's the entire code

<?php require_once('Connections/LocalConnect.php'); ?>
<?php
if (!function_exists("GetSQLValueString")) {
function GetSQLValueString($theValue, $theType, $theDefinedValue = "", $theNotDefinedValue = "") 
{
  if (PHP_VERSION < 6) {
    $theValue = get_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($theValue) : $theValue;
  }

$theValue = function_exists("mysql_real_escape_string") ? mysql_real_escape_string($theValue) : mysql_escape_string($theValue);

switch ($theType) {
    case "text":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";
      break;    
    case "long":
    case "int":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? intval($theValue) : "NULL";
      break;
    case "double":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? doubleval($theValue) : "NULL";
      break;
    case "date":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";
      break;
    case "defined":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? $theDefinedValue : $theNotDefinedValue;
      break;
  }
  return $theValue;
}
}

mysql_select_db($database_LocalConnect, $LocalConnect);
$query_rs_specialty = 
"SELECT specialty.Group_Total, specialty.`Date`, specialty.Sponsors, specialty.Superintendent, specialty.Event_Type, specialty.Judge, specialty.City, specialty.`State`, specialty.BIS_Title, specialty.Best_of_Show, specialty.Group_Title, specialty.Group_Place  
FROM specialty WHERE specialty.Group_Place <> '' Date>= DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 6 MONTH) 
ORDER BY specialty.`Date`";
$rs_specialty = mysql_query($query_rs_specialty, $LocalConnect) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rs_specialty = mysql_fetch_assoc($rs_specialty);
$totalRows_rs_specialty = mysql_num_rows($rs_specialty);
?>

I tried the 'echo php error' but probably did not have it right.  It did not produce anything.

With the exception of "WHERE specialty.Group_Place <> '' Date>= DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 6 MONTH) ", the code was all created by Dreamweaver.

Thanks again!!

The only line I see with mysql_query() is this one:

$rs_specialty = mysql_query($query_rs_specialty, $LocalConnect) or die(mysql_error());

The $query_rs_specialty variable is just a string. If it was an invalidly formatted query it wouldn't generate the error. SO, the problem must with $LocalConnect. I assume that connection variable is set within the include file 'LocalConnect.php'. So, I'm guessing you are running a mysql_connect() function in there and assigning the result to this variable. So, open that file and see where you are doing that and add some error handling. E.g.

$LocalConnect = mysql_connect('database', 'username', 'password') or die(mysql_error());

Just in case anyone else is looking for the proper syntax - here it is:

mysql_select_db($sys_dbname, $conn);
$query_rs_specialty = "SELECT specialty.Group_Total, specialty.`Date`, specialty.Sponsors, specialty.Superintendent, specialty.Event_Type, specialty.Judge, specialty.City, specialty.`State`, specialty.BIS_Title, specialty.Best_of_Show, specialty.Group_Title, specialty.Group_Place  FROM specialty WHERE specialty.Group_Place <> '' AND Date >= DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 6 MONTH) ORDER BY specialty.`Date` DESC";

$rs_specialty = mysql_query($query_rs_specialty, $conn) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rs_specialty = mysql_fetch_assoc($rs_specialty);
$totalRows_rs_specialty = mysql_num_rows($rs_specialty);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.