Huge drop down box

Shadowing

I have a like 100 of these in a drop down box

and drop down box on html is really new to me

Id like to put all the option values into one variable. but i dont know if the form works like that?

cause I want to store the -1200 and not whats in the drop down box

I feel like my approach with this is way off

if someone could help guide me in a direction would appreciate it

so I can say

<?php 
mysql_query("UPDATE users SET time_offset= '".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['$________'])."' WHERE id = '".mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['user_id'])."'");

<select name="cars">

<option value="-1200">(GMT -1200) International Date Line West </option>
<option value="-1100">(GMT -1100) Coordinated Universal Time -11  </option>
<option value="-1100">(GMT -1100) Samoa </option>
<option value="-1000">(GMT -1000) Hawaii  </option>
<option value="-0900">(GMT -0900) Alaska  </option>

?>

Store an array in a seperate file with all the data, then include it.

arrays.php :

$gmt[0]['value'] = -1200;
$gmt[0]['label'] = '(GMT -1200) International Date Line West';

$gmt[1]['value'] = -1100;
$gmt[1]['label'] = '(GMT -1100) Coordinated Universal Time -11';

And so on...

In your listout file:

include('arrays.php');
echo '<select name=\'cars\'>';
foreach($gmt as $option){
  echo '<option value="{$option['value']}">'. $option['label'] .'</option>';
}
echo '</select>';

Alright got my array all done

im acctually trying to insert the -1200 part into the data base

<?php mysql_query("UPDATE users SET time_offset= '".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['reason'])."' WHERE id = '".mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['user_id'])."'"); ?>

how would I go about doing that

Just reference the select field in the POST/GET data. If the field is named 'cars' (as in your original post) you would use

$time_offset = intval($_POST['cars']);
$user_id = intval($_SESSION['user_id']);

$query = "UPDATE users SET time_offset= '{$time_offset}' WHERE id = '{$user_id}'";
$result = mysql_query($query);

You do not need to use mysql_real_escape_string() on the value since you need to validate the value as an integer. mysql_real_escape_string() is for string data.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think this approach is somewhat wrong. The offset wouldn't be 1100 hours or -0400 hours, it would be 11 hours or -4 hours. Storing 1100 or -0400 in the database, IMO isn't the best way to do it.

What do you store for Newfoundland Standard Time zone, where the offset is -3.5 hrs? Do you store -0330? Storing the offset in the that format isn't practical unless you add the additional overhead of another function to convert the value from -0330 to -3.5. If you store the value as a decimal number, you can do the calculation easily in the query string and directly output the time, no?

SELECT DATE_ADD( UTC_TIME(), INTERVAL `offset_field` HOUR ) AS field_alias

Personally, I found that offsets to GMT are typically represented as -0400, +1200, etc. Plus, if you convert to a fraction you kind of lose some "visual acuity". I've seen people mistake 5.15 with 5 hours and 15 minutes (instead of 5 hours, 9 minutes). But, if you use 5:09 or 5:15 it is completely obvious.

And, with one tweak, you can easily use those value to generate the offset using the query. Just use a semi-colon in the value: "-09:00", "12:00". Then using the same logic Pikachu2000 provided just use the "HOUR_MINUTE" inteterval type

SELECT DATE_ADD( UTC_TIME(), INTERVAL `offset_field` HOUR_MINUTE ) AS field_alias

I really should stop assuming stuff lol.

I was making the drop down box way more complicated then what it was

I guess i didnt realize it would store the -1200 in the data base. I was thinking it would store

(GMT -1200) International Date Line West which it doesnt. so that part is all solved

I tested this and it works i also tested -0630

and I use +0000 for GMT

<?php

date_default_timezone_set('UTC');

$new = date('m/d/Y/H:i:s', strtotime("-0600"));

echo $new;

?>

Personally, I found that offsets to GMT are typically represented as -0400, +1200, etc. Plus, if you convert to a fraction you kind of lose some "visual acuity". I've seen people mistake 5.15 with 5 hours and 15 minutes (instead of 5 hours, 9 minutes). But, if you use 5:09 or 5:15 it is completely obvious.

The value= attribute doesn't have to be the same as what's displayed to the user . . .

sigh i just notice something. I really thought I had this working.

This is making it exactly 12 hours off. instead of being 6pm its 6am.

UTC must not be what im wanting to set it to for default

I didnt notice it earlier cause i forgot its displaying military time always lol. so when it read -6pm it should of been saying 18

date_default_timezone_set('UTC');

$new = date('m/d/Y/H:i:s', strtotime("-0600"));

also want to mention that just typing -6 gives the same results

+6 is giving what -6 should be wierd

The value= attribute doesn't have to be the same as what's displayed to the user . . .

I wasn't referring to the displayed value to the user. From a programmatic viewpoint I would prefer to use +0430 rather than 4.5. Even the PHP date() function uses that format for displaying the timezone offset:

date('O'); // +0200
date('P'); // +02:00

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.