Display query based off selection on child page

chutchick

Good day and Merry Christmas to all,

I just spent a good time of my christmas eve trying to figure out this problem. I hope one of you santas would be so kind as to help me with it.

First off I have two tables; employee and employee_works both connected via employee_id key.

Basically I have a parent window we'll call parent.php.

inside the parent page is a search button that once clicked will open a child window we'll call child.php

inside the child page is a list, lets say employees with name, employee_id, etc.

My main concern is this:

How do I populate parent.php based off the employee selection I made in the child window.

Example:

-Access parent.php

-Click on search

-Click on [iD: 004] [NAME: JOHN SMITH] [PHONE: 1233456] [DATE HIRED: JULY 16, 1992] <---format of a row in child.php

-child.php automatically closes and parent.php now shows all data from employee_works with the employee_id = 004

Is this even possible? I know this is vary vague and would be willing to explain more if needed. My website is built mostly on javascript and php.

so lets say i assign a $session[id] = 4;

then i call a javascript function to close the child window and window.opener.reload() to refresh the parent window.

then on the parent window i add something like:

if($session[id])

{

//code for employee_works here

}

would this be ok?

Ive got it down to:

if($_SESSION["ledger"])

{

$led = $_SESSION["ledger"];

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM employee_works WHERE employee_id = $led");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql))  <--this is line 113

{

echo "<tr>";

echo "<td align='center' width='300'>" . $row['employee_work_des'] . "</td>";

echo "<td align='center' width='300'>" . $row['employee_work_time'] . "</td>";

echo"</tr>";

}

echo "</table>";

its giving an error:

Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in C:\xampp\htdocs\beta\function\ledger.php on line 113

That error means that code is not the actual code that is producing that error.

string given

^^^ Means that the variable or literal value you supplied to the mysql_fetch_array() statement is a string. The posted code would have supplied a result resource if the query executed without any errors or a boolean false value if the query failed to execute due to an error. The only way the posted code could have supplied a string to the mysql_fetch_array() statement would be if there was a statement like - $sql = "a statement producing a string";, either somewhere between the mysql_query() statement and the start of the while(){} loop or somewhere in the actual code inside the while(){} loop.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.