Posting Form after OnClick event

JasonHarper

Hello,

When a user clicks a Submit button on my page, I'm using an onClick event to essentially just disable the button and change the message to 'Saving'.  However, when I add the onClick code, the form no longer posts using PHP.  The button does indeed change but the postback never occurs.  Is there something extra I need to add or do?

Thank you!!

This is my submit button:

<input type="submit" id="submit" value="Save Changes" onclick="this.disabled=true; this.value='Saving'">|<a href="/">Cancel</a>

Then I have the normal PHP stuff for postback which isn't firing....

//IF POSTBACK
if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST')
{
	//DO STUFF HERE
}

I'm trying to disable for more of a visual aesthetic...to let the user know something is happening. T he button changes color and says 'Saving' when in a disabled state.  On my forms where the submit also processes a credit card transaction, I want to avoid multiple clicks....  Thanks again for the help!

You'd need to move the JS into a function:

<script language="text/javascript"> 
function fireSubmit() { 
  document.myForm.submit.disabled = true;
  document.myForm.submit.value = 'Saving...';
  document.myForm.submit(); 
} 
</script>

<form name="myForm">
<input type="text" name="blahText">
<input type="button" value="submit" name="submit" onclick="fireSubmit()"> 
</form>

Untested, but should work (submit button might need to be named something other than submit in order to avoid conflict with the function).

Thanks KingPhilip!

I implemented that code and now the form is indeed posting but the attributes of the button don't seem to be changing.  Here is my current code:

function fireSubmit() { 
  document.emailNotifications.submitButton.disabled = true;
  document.emailNotifications.submitButton.value = 'Saving...';
  document.emailNotifications.submit(); 
} 
</script>    

<form id="emailNotifications" name="emailNotifications" method="post" action="email-notifications.php">
<input type="submit" id="submitButton" name="submitButton" value="Save Changes" onclick="fireSubmit()">
</form>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.