Help using mySQL UPDATE

hosker

I have the following code that when used seperately work. How would I write an if..else statement that will make them work together? The following code give me an Parse Error, syntax error  unexpected T_string. The following if my code I have tried,

if (SELECT tournament FROM weekly_picks WHERE tournament = '$tournament')
mysql_query("UPDATE weekly_picks SET player = '$golfer' WHERE tournament = '$tournament' AND user = '$usr'");
else
mysql_query("INSERT INTO weekly_picks (t_id, tournament, user, player, backup, timestamp) VALUES ('$t_id', '$tournament', '$usr', '$golfer', '$backup', '$time')",$link) or die('Error, insert query failed');

I also know that values are being stored in the variables.

I have a form that gets submitted weekly and posts data into my DB for a players golf pick for the tournament that weekend. If the user changes their mind and wants to submit a different pick, I only want one instance of the tournament, user, and pick in the database, not multiple.

I want to be able to have check to see if the tournament and user already exist in the database, and if they do, execute somecode, if not execute othercode.

This line is incorrect:

if (SELECT tournament FROM weekly_picks WHERE tournament = '$tournament')

You need to execute the query and get the number of results:

$q = "SELECT tournament FROM weekly_picks WHERE tournament = '$tournament'";
// execute the query
$q = $sql->query($q);
// use num_rows
if($q->num_rows > 0){
   // put the rest here

You will need to change the query & num_rows to fit in with how you do database queries (eg mysql_query)

I have been trying to figure this out myself, but I am having no luck. Here is the following code that I have written:

if	(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM weekly_picks WHERE tournament = '$tournament' AND usr = '$usr'"))
	mysql_query("UPDATE weekly_picks SET player = '$golfer' WHERE tournament = '$tournament' AND user = '$usr'");
else
mysql_query("INSERT INTO weekly_picks (t_id, tournament, user, player, backup, timestamp) VALUES ('$t_id', '$tournament', '$usr', '$golfer', '$backup', '$time')",$link) or die('Error, insert query failed');

This code will run, but all it does is add a new row into my database instead of updating what is already there when needed. Any help would be much appreciated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.