Pagination help

lilgezuz

I have the below code and it all works right expect for numbers, how would I get all titles that start with a number to show up under the # link?  Any help would be awesome

<?php	
$alphabet = array('#', 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F', 'G', 'H', 'I', 'J', 'K', 'L', 'M', 'N', 'O', 'P', 'Q', 'R', 'S', 'T', 'U', 'V', 'W', 'X', 'Y', 'Z');
foreach ($alphabet as $letter) {
echo "<a href=\"?letter=" . $letter . "\">" . $letter . "</a> ¦ ";}
?><?php 		require("db.php");		
$letter=$_GET['letter'];			
//if(isset($letter)){		     
$query = "SELECT COUNT(*) as num FROM games WHERE title LIKE '$letter%'";	 
$total_pages = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query($query));     include("pagination.php");     
$sql = "SELECT * FROM games WHERE title LIKE '$letter%' LIMIT $start, $limit";      
$result = mysql_query($sql);     while($rows=mysql_fetch_array($result))	{					echo '<tr><td>'.$rows['title'].'<br></td></tr>';		}	
//	}	
?>		</table>	<?php echo $pagination; ?>

This should do the job:

<?php	
$alphabet = array('#', 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F', 'G', 'H', 'I', 'J', 'K', 'L', 'M', 'N', 'O', 'P', 'Q', 'R', 'S', 'T', 'U', 'V', 'W', 'X', 'Y', 'Z');
foreach ($alphabet as $letter) {
echo "<a href=\"?letter=" . $letter . "\">" . $letter . "</a> ¦ ";}
?><?php 		require("db.php");		
$letter=$_GET['letter'];			
//if(isset($letter)){
if (chr($letter) >= '1' && chr($letter) <= '9' ){
$where = " WHERE LEFT(title, 1, 1) BETWEEN 0 AND 9";
}
else{
$where = " WHERE LEFT(UPPER(title), 1, 1) = UPPER('$letter')";
}
$query = "SELECT COUNT(*) as num FROM games $where";	 
$total_pages = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query($query));     include("pagination.php");     
$sql = "SELECT * FROM games WHERE title LIKE '$letter%' LIMIT $start, $limit";      
$result = mysql_query($sql);     while($rows=mysql_fetch_array($result))	{					echo '<tr><td>'.$rows['title'].'<br></td></tr>';		}	
//	}	
?>		</table>	<?php echo $pagination; ?>

One correction to Muddy_Funster's solution. The value of $letter will be "#" when searching for numeric titles. But, the code above assumes that the user will be selecting 1-9. A couple other things:

The original code is appending a " | " after each link - including the last. I assume that is not what you really want (solved below). Also, the isset($letter) check is worthless since you set $letter on the previous line (even if $_GET['letter'] is not set $letter will be). Instead you should be checking if $_GET['letter'] is set. Plus, there is no validation of the input from sql injection. Lastly, the is no handling in the case where the GET value is not in the approved list of values which would cause the script to fail.

<?php
foreach ($alphabet as &$letter)
{
    $letter = "<a href=\"?letter={$letter}\">{$letter}</a>";
}
$page_links = implode(' | ', $alphabet);
echo $page_links;

require("db.php");

$where = false;
if(isset($_GET['letter']))
{
    $letter = mysql_real_escape_string(trim(strtoupper($_GET['letter'])));
    if ($letter=='#'){
    }
    else{
        $where = " WHERE LEFT(UPPER(title), 1, 1) = '$letter'";
    }
}

//Only run page query if 'letter' was valid - i.e. $where is set
if($where != false)
{
    $total_pages = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query($query));

include("pagination.php");     

$sql = "SELECT title FROM games {$where} LIMIT $start, $limit";      
    $result = mysql_query($sql);

echo "<table>\n";
    while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
    {
        echo "<tr><td>{$row['title']}<br></td></tr>\n";
    }
    echo "</table>\n";

echo $pagination;
}

?>

One correction to Muddy_Funster's solution. The value of $letter will be "#" when searching for numeric titles. But, the code above assumes that the user will be selecting 1-9. A couple other things:

The original code is appending a " | " after each link - including the last. I assume that is not what you really want (solved below). Also, the isset($letter) check is worthless since you set $letter on the previous line (even if $_GET['letter'] is not set $letter will be). Instead you should be checking if $_GET['letter'] is set. Plus, there is no validation of the input from sql injection. Lastly, the is no handling in the case where the GET value is not in the approved list of values which would cause the script to fail.

<?php
foreach ($alphabet as &$letter)
{
    $letter = "<a href=\"?letter={$letter}\">{$letter}</a>";
}
$page_links = implode(' | ', $alphabet);
echo $page_links;

require("db.php");

$where = false;
if(isset($_GET['letter']))
{
    $letter = mysql_real_escape_string(trim(strtoupper($_GET['letter'])));
    if ($letter=='#'){
    }
    else{
        $where = " WHERE LEFT(UPPER(title), 1, 1) = '$letter'";
    }
}

//Only run page query if 'letter' was valid - i.e. $where is set
if($where != false)
{
    $total_pages = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query($query));

include("pagination.php");     

$sql = "SELECT title FROM games {$where} LIMIT $start, $limit";      
    $result = mysql_query($sql);

echo "<table>\n";
    while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
    {
        echo "<tr><td>{$row['title']}<br></td></tr>\n";
    }
    echo "</table>\n";

echo $pagination;
}

?>

The letters display across the top of the page then I get these 2 errors one for each fetch array

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

The letters display across the top of the page then I get these 2 errors one for each fetch array

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

Then the query is failing. I provide code as a guide as to the process you can follow to achieve the desired result. I give no guarantees that it is error free (see my signature). I leave it to the recipient to debug any typos and such since I typically don't have the input data (e.g. your database) in order to easily test the code.

I didn't check the syntax of the query that Muddy_Funster provided. The error is due to the format of the LEFT() command. He had three parameters, but LEFT() only takes two. Try replacing the if/else section for the where clause with this

if ($letter=='#'){
        $where = " WHERE LEFT(title, 1) BETWEEN 0 AND 9";
    }
    else{
        $where = " WHERE LEFT(UPPER(title), 1) = '$letter'";
    }

Then the query is failing. I provide code as a guide as to the process you can follow to achieve the desired result. I give no guarantees that it is error free (see my signature). I leave it to the recipient to debug any typos and such since I typically don't have the input data (e.g. your database) in order to easily test the code.

I didn't check the syntax of the query that Muddy_Funster provided. The error is due to the format of the LEFT() command. He had three parameters, but LEFT() only takes two. Try replacing the if/else section for the where clause with this

if ($letter=='#'){
    }
    else{
    }

The erros went away but when I click on the # link it just displays the first result from my database which doesn't begin with a number

Hmm . . . I think the problem is that when you use the BETWEEN operator MySQL is expecting a numeric comparison. So, it is converting the string value from the title into a numeric value. So, anything not a number is converting to 0.

This should work

if ($letter=='#'){
    }
    else{
        $where = " INSTR('012345679', LEFT(title, 1)) > 0";
    }

Hmm . . . I think the problem is that when you use the BETWEEN operator MySQL is expecting a numeric comparison. So, it is converting the string value from the title into a numeric value. So, anything not a number is converting to 0.

This should work

if ($letter=='#'){
    }
    else{
    }

Thanks for your help it worked after I put WHERE in front of INSTR.  Your awesome for taking the time to help me out

I "fixed" the wrong one

if ($letter=='#'){
    }
    else{
    }

Still not working correctly.  When I click on any letter that shows the correct result but when I click on the # link it shows the first record from my database only and it begins with a letter not a number.  The first record in my database had a blank space before the title I guess thats why it was showing up unders the # link.  But the titles that start with a number still don't show up

Laffin is correct, the WHERE clause was missing. I will say it again

I provide code as a guide as to the process you can follow to achieve the desired result. I give no guarantees that it is error free (see my signature). I leave it to the recipient to debug any typos and such since I typically don't have the input data (e.g. your database) in order to easily test the code.

These are all simple mistakes and ones that would be easily found/fixed if I was working in a live environment. But, I am providing this code with absolutely no way to test with your script/database. I expect people in this forum to be able to debug simple errors.

if ($letter=='#'){
        $where = " WHERE INSTR('012345679', LEFT(title, 1)) > 0";
    }
    else{
    }

Laffin is correct, the WHERE clause was missing. I will say it again

I provide code as a guide as to the process you can follow to achieve the desired result. I give no guarantees that it is error free (see my signature). I leave it to the recipient to debug any typos and such since I typically don't have the input data (e.g. your database) in order to easily test the code.

These are all simple mistakes and ones that would be easily found/fixed if I was working in a live environment. But, I am providing this code with absolutely no way to test with your script/database. I expect people in this forum to be able to debug simple errors.

if ($letter=='#'){
        $where = " WHERE INSTR('012345679', LEFT(title, 1)) > 0";
    }
    else{
    }

I've been trying to debug it, I tried to put WHERE in the code already and it didn't solve the problem.  It doesn't display anything under the # link unless I put a blank space in front of the game titles that start with a number

• 1 month later...

How can I make this so it shows titles beinging with a symbol( ., {, [ ) I have an idea but not 100% sure.

if ($letter=='0-9'){        $where = " WHERE INSTR('012345679', LEFT(title, 1)) > 0";    }    else{        $where = " WHERE LEFT(UPPER(title), 1) = '$letter'";    }

How can I make this so it shows titles beinging with a symbol( ., {, [ ) I have an idea but not 100% sure.

When you say symbol, don't you really mean anything that is NOT a letter or a number? And, what was your idea? I would just use the same logic applied for numbers, but use a negative check.

if ($letter=='0-9')
{
    //Number search
    $where = " WHERE INSTR('012345679', LEFT(title, 1)) = 0";
}
elseif($letter=='SYMBOL') //Change to the value you use for symbol
{
    //Symbol search
    $where = " WHERE INSTR('ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ012345679', LEFT(UPPER(title), 1)) = 0";
}
else
{
    //Letter search
}

When you say symbol, don't you really mean anything that is NOT a letter or a number? And, what was your idea? I would just use the same logic applied for numbers, but use a negative check.

if ($letter=='0-9')
{
    //Number search
    $where = " WHERE INSTR('012345679', LEFT(title, 1)) = 0";
}
elseif($letter=='SYMBOL') //Change to the value you use for symbol
{
    //Symbol search
    $where = " WHERE INSTR('ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ012345679', LEFT(UPPER(title), 1)) = 0";
}
else
{
    //Letter search
}

That did not work, just shows a blank page

Well then, it sucks to be you. Did you even try to figure out what was wrong? Did you run the query through PHPMyAdmin first to see what that produced before trying to implement it into your code. I did mistakenly alter the numeric search by changing the "> 0" to "= 0". That one should be using the greater than operator and the symbol search should be using the equal operator. but, in either case you would not get 0 results - unless you legitimately had no matching records.

I tested the process above and it worked as I expected. I created sample data as follows:

A - Alpha 1
x - Alpha 2
0 - Numeric 1
9 - Numeric 2
$ - Symbol 1
@ - Symbol 2
. - Symbol 3

When I used WHERE LEFT(UPPER(title), 1) = 'A' and  WHERE LEFT(UPPER(title), 1) = 'X' I received the results of 'A - Alpha 1' and 'x - Alpha 2', respectively.

When I used WHERE INSTR('012345679', LEFT(title, 1)) > 0 I received the results of '0 - Numeric 1' & '9 - Numeric 2'.

When I used WHERE INSTR('ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ012345679', LEFT(UPPER(title), 1)) = 0, the results were: '$ - Symbol 1', '@ - Symbol 2', & '. - Symbol 3'.

Test your queries in your database management APP before you try and implement in your code. Then, once you implement, if you do not get the results you expect 1) validate that the query you are running is the one you expect, 2) check if the query is returning errors, i.e. mysql_error(), 3) If no errors, see if the query is returning results, i.e. mysql_num_rows().

If the query is completing w/o errors and mysql_num_rows() is >t 0 and you are getting a blank page then there is most likely a problem in the PHP code for outputting the results.

Well then, it sucks to be you. Did you even try to figure out what was wrong? Did you run the query through PHPMyAdmin first to see what that produced before trying to implement it into your code. I did mistakenly alter the numeric search by changing the "> 0" to "= 0". That one should be using the greater than operator and the symbol search should be using the equal operator. but, in either case you would not get 0 results - unless you legitimately had no matching records.

I tested the process above and it worked as I expected. I created sample data as follows:

A - Alpha 1
x - Alpha 2
0 - Numeric 1
9 - Numeric 2
$ - Symbol 1
@ - Symbol 2
. - Symbol 3

When I used WHERE LEFT(UPPER(title), 1) = 'A' and  WHERE LEFT(UPPER(title), 1) = 'X' I received the results of 'A - Alpha 1' and 'x - Alpha 2', respectively.

When I used WHERE INSTR('012345679', LEFT(title, 1)) > 0 I received the results of '0 - Numeric 1' & '9 - Numeric 2'.

When I used WHERE INSTR('ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ012345679', LEFT(UPPER(title), 1)) = 0, the results were: '$ - Symbol 1', '@ - Symbol 2', & '. - Symbol 3'.

Test your queries in your database management APP before you try and implement in your code. Then, once you implement, if you do not get the results you expect 1) validate that the query you are running is the one you expect, 2) check if the query is returning errors, i.e. mysql_error(), 3) If no errors, see if the query is returning results, i.e. mysql_num_rows().

If the query is completing w/o errors and mysql_num_rows() is >t 0 and you are getting a blank page then there is most likely a problem in the PHP code for outputting the results.

Thanks for the help.  I'm getting there, tested in myphpadmin and it did display results.I will try and test now to figure out why its not displaying the results

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.