Retrieving text in its orginal format

Shadowing

thanks for the responces guys

im using <textarea>Message</textarea> on the way in. Im not using any tags when displaying it.

<?php echo "<td colspan='160'><div class='ex'>$message</div></td></tr>"; ?>

i tried <pre> and that made it go out side my box outline.

It looks like this below where it shows no line breaks and i want there to be line breaks

The total width of an element should be calculated like this: Total element width = width + left padding + right padding + left border + right border + left margin + right margin The total height of an element should be calculated like this: Total element height = height + top padding + bottom padding + top border + bottom border + top margin + bottom margin but I want it to look like

yah im coming back in a month with CSS just getting functions working. I know if i get rid of the col span it really messes something up.

I tried your suggustion out scoot. using " " gave me a snytax error so I used ' ' it just added 'n12br' to the message. I was doing some reading and for what I read it should be grabing it out of the data base exactly how it is in the data base.

the colspam doesnt seem to be effecting it

I took a picture of it below

message.jpg

nice that might just work now. now my text editor is lighting up nl2br as red

my problem now is getting past the snytax error with the quotes.

I tried replacing the " with single qoutes on each side of the nl2br$message but that doesnt work. and i cant get rid of the double quotes on the out side cause of the variable existing. i never came accross a snytax issue like this one before.  I even tried breaking the echo up and only echoing in 

echo "<td>" . nl2br$message . "</td>"; 

orginal code

below

echo "<td colspan='160'><div class='ex'>" . nl2br$message . "</div></td></tr>"; 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.