Best way to take date input from user?

AlphaWolf

Hi,

I'm using the form data type 'date', and trying to verify it. It seems a little too complicated to check that it's in the correct format (with "/" between day/month/year), unless I use regular expression, which I don't know much about and seems feels like there's an alternate solution or it's not necessary. Currently, the script accepts DD*MM*YYYY, where * is any character, since it just strips the 3rd and 6th character and checks the day/month/year using checkdate().

I'm not even sure if this is a problem. I am giving the user a "verify" page, where I could put it in the correct format (DD/MM/YYYY), but is that enough?

Feel like I'm missing something here, so any feedback would be great :)

Just use 3 input boxes

<form method="post">
Date (d/m/Y): <input size="2" maxlength="2" title="Day of month" name="day" > <input size="2" maxlength="2" title="Month of year" name="month" > <input size="4" maxlength="4" title="Year" name="Year" >
</form>

I also like to use jQuery mouse wheel to scroll through days/months/years and a pop-up calendar, I wrote an extension to do both but it's on my work computer :(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.