Date Issue 01/01/2012 (not > then 12/31/2011)

Failing_Solutions

Problem: My query is set to get rows with date after x, as of today (January 1st, 2012) my query doesn't recognize 01/01/2012 as greater than day 12/31/2011.

Webpage: http://www.onlinegamekey. com/ MTGT-Auction.php

Execution Code:

<?php ///Setting The Date & Query Range
$today = date("m/d/Y");
$minusday = mktime(0,0,0,date("m"),date("d")-14,date("Y"));
$queryday = date("m/d/Y",$minusday);
///Getting The Data
$quer2=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM auctions WHERE Card_Name ='$cards' AND Day >='$queryday' ORDER BY Price_Per") or die;
?>

Additional Notes: My database stores the date in this format mm/dd/yyyy in column `Day` stored as a VARCHAR. 

Testing on the site: Search for Air Elemental this card is new today (Auction ID)543716  (Card Name)Air Elemental (Cards Per Auction)1 (Seller)Edwitdahead (Auction Price)7 (Price Per)7.00 (Date)01/01/2012

I would like to avoid changing the database format if possible, and I assume this is likely a common issue so any help pointers or links you can provide to help me fix this is Greatly Appreciated.

Thank you

Read the post at the following link for why you cannot do greater-than/less-than comparisons on dates unless they are in the correct format - http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=345557.msg1631267#msg1631267

You must store dates in your database using a DATE data type (that's what it is for) and do comparisons between dates that all have the same YYYY-MM-DD format.

You can use mysql's DATE_FORMAT() function in your queries to retrieve the YYYY-MM-DD format into any format that you need. You can also use mysql's STR_TO_DATE() function in your queries to convert any formatted date into a YYYY-MM-DD format when you insert/update data or provide literal dates to be used in queries.

Once you have converted your existing values in your database table(s) (it can be done by adding a DATE column, using a single UPDATE query to populate the DATE column from your existing values, then removing the varchar column), other than changing your query statements to use DATE_FORMAT/STR_TO_DATE, you don't need to make any other changes.

Thank you very much.

I made a table backup, did a SQL replace for all my dates ie (12/31/2011 to 2011-12-31), then converted the column into data type DATE.

Changed my lookup functions to pull the correct data

$today = date("Y/m/d");
$minusday = mktime(0,0,0,date("m"),date("d")-14,date("Y"));
$queryday = date("Y/m/d",$minusday);

Then used php to pretty up the date.

date('m-d-Y',strtotime($today))

Wasn't as bad as I thought, thanks for the help and previous post that put me on the right track!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.