Logs

markyboy17

I have a mysql table in which will be updated fairly frequently via php code on a form.

My question is how do I code a log of the changes made into another table using php or calling a stored procedure from within the database. or if you can think of a better way suggest it.  Stored procedure would be more secure if possible.

Hi

For explanation purposes lets say i have a table with the field age.  if i have an update query in php that gives the ability to change that age i want a bit of code to intercept what the change was and place it in a table or any sort of format where it is clear to understand

Sorry for the confusion hope this is clearer :D

Rough idea (I use it on my personal family site. It can be used to notify family members of changes to the site; ie new pics, new relatives, posts to the message section etc)...

1, create a table called ummmm table_actions

2. id, table_name, what_action_what_date

3. Essentially any table has 4 basic actions - add, delete, edit and view

4. write a small function that you include in every script that does one of the things in #3

5. the function (A) sets the table effected, the date and the action; then (B) adds that to the table_actions

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.