PHP secure login/registration tutorial?

nealec

I am new to coding and have no clue about sessions cookies or anything needed to create a way for people to securely register and login to a site.

The site i have planned i expect (hope) to be used by my entire community so i really need to get it right without any vunerabilities.

Can anyone suggest any good resources or tutorials or anything that might help me?

I am new to coding and have no clue about sessions cookies or anything needed to create a way for people to securely register and login to a site.

Then don't.

This is why libraries exist. Find something that is already battle tested and use it in your app. Perhaps you can port a user auth library from some of the popular frameworks. Ion auth is simple and secure.

easykiss123.com has a login/registration tutorial with a download you can play with. Though I would not suggest using it long term I think its a great thing to mess around with while you learn.

Also picking up some books on php and mysql is worth the investment.

I am learning myself and while messing with existing code and figuring out whats going on is good, its no substitute for reading and learning what is actually going on, and it helps with structuring your code too.

If you look at 'create your own database driven website' 4th edition, its the first book I had on php and I do think its a good starting place.

easykiss123.com has a login/registration tutorial with a download you can play with. Though I would not suggest using it long term I think its a great thing to mess around with while you learn.

I am learning myself and while messing with existing code and figuring out whats going on is good, its no substitute for reading and learning what is actually going on, and it helps with structuring your code too.

If you look at create your own database driven website 4th edition, its the first book I had on php and I do think its a good starting place.

Pretty much all of these free login tutorials have no security in mind whatsoever. So I would be cautious using them.

If you look at create your own database driven website 4th edition, its the first book I had on php and I do think its a good starting place.

Pretty much all of these free login tutorials have no security in mind whatsoever. So I would be cautious using them.

From what I can tell the password does get an encryption and the tutorial allows for pages to only be viewed by users with the right user level.

I am not saying that it would be the most secure thing to use and I would by no means use it long term but as a starting point to have a look at and play around with I think its OK.

Saying that 'scootstah' has a point and most free tutorials are really only there as a starting point, not to be used as the final thing.

At any-rate I hope it helps.

From what I can tell the password does get an encryption and the tutorial allows for pages to only be viewed by users with the right user level.

I am not saying that it would be the most secure thing to use and I would by no means use it long term but as a starting point to have a look at and play around with I think its OK.

Saying that 'scootstah' has a point and most free tutorials are really only there as a starting point, not to be used as the final thing.

At any-rate I hope it helps.

I see what you're saying but I still think it is a waste of time. You will spend all that time learning a tutorial that you will then dump and move to something else, when you could have just started with the something else and learn it right the first time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.