How do I proctect include files from being opened via browser?

Ivan Ivković

Let's say somebody opens some of my class files via:

Example:

http://admin.mysite.com/classes/main.php

Can he do anything to harm my website?

Is this important to protect?

I keep protecting file by file with a function like:

include('pagevariables.php');

if($current_page == $file['mainclass']){
header('Location: '. $file['home']);
}

Is this possible via .htaccess? I don't know how to write htaccess.

There are a variety of ways to do it, but the easiest in my opinion is simply placing it in a secured directory and using .htaccess to deny direct access.

Here is a great site on writing .htaccess permissions: http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/htaccess.html

And here's an example about protecting your include file from being directly accessed if you don't want that to happen: http://davidwalsh.name/htaccess-security-include-files

Can he do anything to harm my website?

Is this important to protect?

Assuming your includes only define functions or classes and do not have any code that would run, then someone loading them in the browser is harmless, they would just get a blank page and your script would essentially do nothing.

If your files do have some code that runs, then you'd have to decide whether it can cause and problems or not.  For instance, if you have a file that you include which connects to your DB, someone running it directly is probably harmless as it would just connect then immediately disconnect when the script ends.

However, if you do want to prevent people from accessing them directly then you have some options:

1) (preferred) Store all your includes in a directory that is outside of your web root.  This way the web server will not serve them and nobody can access them.  Your scripts will still be able to include them as they can access things out of the web root.

2) Configure the server to deny requests for that directory.  For apache you can do this via .htaccess.  Other servers have their own ways most likely.

3) Include a little check at the top which will check if the current request is for that file and if so die().

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.