Security Question on links

Shadowing

Im making a map atm which will have tokens"not sure what you call them" in the link like

map.php?id=token

Well I dont want a 3rd party coming along in the future and making their own map using my y and x cords.

So I was thinking maybe the best way around this is to use a encryption in the link? so encrypting the x and y cords in the link.

Anyone have any ideas on this.

Also I was wondering is it impossible for php to know when somone clicks a link? I was googling around and it doesnt seem like you cant simply use a $_POST for a link

I'm not sure I understand how a third party could exploit that.

The only way for PHP to detect a clicked link is to either use AJAX, or to pass the link through a script, like this:

<a href="redirect.php?url=http://google.com">Click Me</a>

redirect.php

<?php

$url = $_GET['url'];

header('location: ' . $url);

thanks for the responce scootstah

If they had the x and y they could make their own tool for instance to find another player in a way I dont want them too. Tools i dont want players to have

using the redirect approach is interesting. thanks for that.

Going to try encrypting i guess. does it matter if I  use the same encryption I use for passwords?

if I have the encryption number in the link can they use that to figure out the encryption for my passwords lol?

Well what I would do is come up with some sort of permitted coordinates for each user. Like, they can move X 4 times and Y 4 times. Then you can calculate all of the coordinates they are allowed to use.

That way, nobody can do anything unintended because they aren't allowed to use the coordinates in the first place.

I guess what i was thinking is. I want people to search freely around the map with no limits. but i just didnt want someone replicating it and making their own tools. but really no harm would come to it if they did.

A tool that one could make for example is a tool that searches through the map and seperates each player and what star systems they own. So idk. I think i'll just let it go ha.

The only thing I could see happening is someone making a tool for ease of use. Like you only have that little square of a map, but someone could load a huge ass map and everything is right there.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head to circumvent that though.

So you want to allow free searching but not allow them to create a tool that will do it for them?

Do you have an example page that I can see, as I have a few idea that may help find anyone abusing the site using a tool or that kind.  But wanted to know a little more about how people should be using it and if my ideas may hinder the sites function from people that use the site properly.

if you do not wish to release the site here, PM me the link and I can take a look in private then come back with my suggestions here for others to see if they also wanted to prevent misuse.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.