Queries using session variables

mwill101

Hello! I'm a bit of a novice on PHP variables still and perhaps I'm trying to run before I can walk.

I have an SQL database that I am able to successfully write to without any problems. I have also created a session variable for the user id number that I am able to retrieve on a later page. My problem is that I have hit a wall when it comes to retrieving the data from the database based upon the session variable user id.  Here is my code and error:

$_SESSION['ID_ASSIGNED']=$_POST[KSU_ID]; //this line takes the form data and successfully assigns it to the session variable on an earlier page

echo $_SESSION['ID_ASSIGNED']; //that line works normally.

Here's my problem code (the line starting with $result ). The line works fine if I input: $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $usertable WHERE KSU_ID='some id number'");:

<?php

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $usertable WHERE KSU_ID=$_SESSION['ID_ASSIGNED']");

$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

echo "<br />Participant Number:";

echo $row['ID'];

echo "<br />Name: ";

echo $row['lname'];

echo  ", ";

echo $row['fname'];

echo "<br />Student Number:";

echo $row['KSU_ID'];

echo "<br />Age: ";

echo $row['age'];

echo "<br />Gender: ";

echo $row['gender'];

echo "<br />Grade: ";

echo $row['grade'];

mysql_close($con);

?>

Solved my problem. The variable needed to be assigned by using the following line:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $usertable WHERE KSU_ID='".$_SESSION['ID_ASSIGNED']."'");

Essentially, $_SESSION['ID_ASSIGNED'] needed to be written as '".$_SESSION['ID_ASSIGNED']."'

Don't quite get the reason for that formatting but I can roll with it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.