PHP class to return an array from database

bian101

Hey guys,

So im building a Content Management System for my A2 project in Computing, and i have a dataBase class. Now, i can return one thing, or do things like inserts however im having a problem returning a list of things such as:

dataBase.class.php

public static function getNYCPost($table, $limit)
{
	dataBase::_dbConnect();
	if($limit == 0)
	{
		//debug: echo 'in as 0';
		$data = mysql_query("SELECT id, linklabel FROM ".$table." WHERE showing='1' AND id >= 2");
	}

if($limit == 1)
	{
		//debug: echo 'in';
		$data = mysql_query("SELECT id, linklabel FROM ". $table ." WHERE showing='1' AND id >= 2 ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 5");
		return $data;
	}
} 

When i try to do this in the main code:

index.php

<?php
		  $list = dataBase::getNYCPost($pages,1);
		//  echo $list;
		  while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($list)) 
			{ 
				 $pageId = $row["id"];
				 $linklabel = $row["linklabel"];
				 $menuDisplay .= '<a href="index.php?pid=' . $pid . '">' . $linklabel . '</a><br />';
			}
			echo $menuDisplay;
		  ?>

$list doesnt return anything, the previous method i used in the class was to make a list and an array and put the contents of the query in an array like:

list($list[] = $row);

or something i cant quite remember i saw a youtube video tutorial and it worked for them, but it wasnt for me.

If anyone knows how i can return various rows from a database it would be appreciated :)

Thanks.

can you share your database tables and put somewhere mysql_error(); then we may see if mysql gives an error.

I put mysql_error(); and it didnt throw an error it just stopped executing the code at the while.

The relevant table is: Pages and the field names are:

id int(11)

pagetitle   varchar(255)

linklabel   varchar(255)

pagebody   text

showing enum('0', '1')

Hope that helps

dataBase::_dbConnect();

Here in your function, reading your entire code, it seems that both functions are in the database class, so you can use self::_dbConnect();

This code is pretty basic, and looks like it should work as expected, in theory. Your function should return a resource that you can use to get row values via a mysql_fetch function.

Where does $pages come from in your function declaration?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.