Can you give me your best recommendation for a framework for this project please

fapapfap

Hi everyone, first thanks for caring to read my post!

I am very very new to php but have a really good idea for a site so thought this could be a good chance to finally learn.

The site is basically going to be a simple yet very well structured and organised repository for articles with the ability for users to post comments at the bottom of each article (logged in users).  The users can also post articles and select which sections they want to put them in.  The admin could then review all submissions and accept and then put them in the order in which they best fit (since the articles will usually be relevant to different stages and should be placed in order of assumed knowledge, if that makes sense) Kind of like a tutorials site with content being submitted.

I imagine a really uncluttered site that looks more old school than web 2.0. From the first page is just like a simple search engine and underneath a kind of sitemap with each topic showing how many articles are in each.  Then as you click into the topic area you are shown another sitemap like display of the articles in this which are perhaps some sectioning to define the type of article it is.

As I say, I am quite new so I wondered if you had some suggestions of the top 'aids' to achieving this, and how you would suggest I progress to get it all setup? Or indeed any frameworks already that fit my needs?

I hope to be active here and look forward to being to give something back some day.

Edit: after reading this through,, I realise I just described a kind of wiki, but thats not really what I had in mind- more just how the old school basic but very clean and functional sites were back in the day (meaning no disrespect to any of the newer ones!).

Thank you for reading.

I think Wordpress would be a good idea because

- it is open-source and widely used (estimated 17% of the interwebs!), so there will be loads of support should you ever have any question about it

- it is blog software, supporting all kinds of topics (categories), articles, comments, users, tags, templates, plugins and an excellent administration interface

- there are already thousands of thousands of plugins that will suit your needs for other components of your website

- it is easily extended to handle "custom post types", an entry of data with a title, content and other attributes that you can define yourself

By writing the specifics of your website as a plugin you can easily update any Wordpress part of your system (and ofcourse your own php files)

Wordpress comes with an option to queue a comment for approval by a moderator or administrator, you can use this. If you want the order of the comments to be of importance, you could achieve this through a plugin. In Wordpress, comments can be nested in another comment too (a reply on a comment, so to say).

You can handle the interface aspect (sitemap, old school design,) through a template, they are not dependant on the system you're using if it's any good.

Like always, learning the mechanics of a system can be quite a challenge, but you'll find WP is well documented in the codex and is not all that hard.

Good luck! :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.