PHP Calendar Sync

jimmybeige

I am working with a site that needs some kind of calendar solution. Each user will have their own events calendar. The plan is that your events calendar could sync with google, ical, BB calendar when done.

Should I build the calendar in PHP, then worry about syncing with these other apps? Or should I use come kind of 3rd party calendar to power the one I have? Or...does anyone know of any applications that help you sync calendars if I were to create one myself?

I looked into google cals, but they have a limit on the amount of calendars per day you can create.

Any ideas as to how I should go about this? All answers appreciated!

are you good enough to build your own?  i prefer to make my own things when i have time, but i recently used a calendar that was 3rd party due to time constraints. I used luxcal.

sounds to me though with the number of calendars you want to sync with, your own bespoke solution might be the only option!

I'm not sure about good enough, just not sure what other options I have. Our system needs to store an events calendar for each user, and needs to be integrated with the rest of our site for querying etc. Just not sure if I have another option other than build my own? And then there is the issue of syncing.

As mentioned, the idea initially was to use google calendars, which using their API would be the engine for our calendar. But there are limitations on the number of calendars per day, so if we had more users than that sign up in a day, we would run out of calendars on google on our account.

The decision to use a 3rd party calendar or build your own should simply be based upon your requirements:

1. Need to create large number of calendars in a day

2. Need to be able to access/manage calendars internally (i.e. the rest of your site)

3. Need ability to sync with other calendars

Requirement #3 is really met if you already meet requirement #2. But, it is worthwhile to know if a 3rd party calendar already has integration with the other calendars you need to sync with or if you will have to build your own integration code. If you can find a 3rd party script that meets requirements #1 & #2 that has all the features you want then that would save you a ton of time. Even if it doesn't integrate with the other calendars that is something you would have had to build on your own anyway.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.