mysqli_stmt_fetch() Couldn't fetch mysqli_stmt

rick.emmet

Hi Everyone,

I've been using prepared statements to insert data into my database and they have been working just fine. I wanted to try prepared statements for select queries and began testing with the code provided at the PHP site. There are a couple of examples in the manual - one for mysqli_prepare() and another for mysqli_stmt_fetch(). The code looks like this:

<?php
$link = mysqli_connect("localhost", "my_user", "my_password", "world");

/* check connection */
if (mysqli_connect_errno()) {
    printf("Connect failed: %s\n", mysqli_connect_error());
    exit();
}

$city = "Amersfoort";

/* create a prepared statement */
if ($stmt = mysqli_prepare($link, "SELECT District FROM City WHERE Name=?")) {

/* bind parameters for markers */
    mysqli_stmt_bind_param($stmt, "s", $city);

/* execute query */
    mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt);

/* bind result variables */
    mysqli_stmt_bind_result($stmt, $district);

/* fetch value */
    mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt);

printf("%s is in district %s\n", $city, $district);

/* close statement */
    mysqli_stmt_close($stmt);
}

/* close connection */
mysqli_close($link);
?>

I am testing this code with a database and using SHA1 encryption for passwords. My code is as follows:

$username = "somename";
$passwd = "somepass";

// Check if username is unique
$stmt = mysqli_prepare($conn, "select verify from users where user_name=? and password=sha1(?)");
mysqli_stmt_bind_param($stmt, "ss", $username, $passwd);
mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt);
mysqli_stmt_bind_result($stmt, $verify);
mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt);
	echo "The registration varification is ".$verify."<br />";

// Close the statement
mysqli_stmt_close($stmt);

// Close the link
mysqli_close($conn);

The results are not as expected as I get the error message, Warning: mysqli_stmt_fetch() Couldn't fetch mysqli_stmt. I've looked up the error and I haven't found anything on the web that explains what's causing it. I can echo the value of $verify, which I'll need farther down the script, but mysqli_stmt_fetch is returning "false", and I need a return of "true" as a conditional to test the state of a users account (in this case the state of the account should return "true"). I have used the hash version of the password and that yields the same result. Could someone please clue me in? I have no idea what the issue is. Thanks much for your time!

cheers,

Rick

Hi jcbones,

Thanks for getting back to me! Yes I have tried to use that - 'echo "Error message is".mysqli_stmt_error(stmt);'  and nothing but the text I wrote prints out on the page. I believe that the only thing coming back from mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt) is a boolean for false.

Cheers,

Rick

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.