setgid bit always unset when changing file permissions - a strange bug

dilbertone

good evening dear php-friends

well i am in big trouble - i have a terrible server error!

on openSuse Linux server 
My Setup: OpenSuse 11.4 on the local machine! 
Linux- Server 

FileZilla Client
----------------
Version:          3.3.4.1
Build information:
  Compiled for:   i686-pc-linux-gnu
  Compiled on:    i686-pc-linux-gnu
  Build date:     2011-02-23
  Compiled with:  gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.5.1 20101208 [gcc-4_5-branch revision 167585]
  Compiler flags: -fomit-frame-pointer -fmessage-length=0 -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector 
- funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -fstack-protector -Wall -g -fexceptions

Linked against:
  wxWidgets:      2.8.11
  GnuTLS:         2.8.6

Operating system:
  Name:           Linux 2.6.37.6-0.7-default i686
  Version:        2.6

Well folks i go crazy - sure thing:

I run a linux-root-server that is administered by a friend of mine. i controll the SFTP session - with filezilla (see all i mentione above)  in order to do installations and maintenance of some drupal-installations (and besides them some joomla-sites) Note: in the  future i want to install Drush - in order to get rid all that annoying bugs.

I am using directories with setgid bit set. I want to change the permissions of newly created directories to give write  permission to the group (by default they have not). For this I right-click on the directory and change the permissions from the Properties dialog. When I change the permissions of a directory that way, the setgid bit gets removed. In fact, there is no way to set the setgid bit, it just always gets turned off, whatever operation one does on permissions.I heard that a buddy found a workaround by creating a custom command that executes chmod -R g+w "!" and applies on directories. This works fine. he said. Well what should i do!? BTW - why does this custom comand work for him !?  Can  somebody explain this  abit!

Well i go almost crazy and throw the computer out of the window (well notabene - of the 14 th floor) this is sure thing no good idea

but i need to have a solution. waht should i do here.

Note: with FileZilla you cannot (!!!!!) set the SETGID-Bit again - no way here - no chance. But with winscp (see below the link ). And you can imagine with Drush you can do it too! What  sould i do - can you advice something for me! btw: see winscp with its ability to control the SETGID bit more than the FileZilla can do!! Well what can cause the issue - where is it rooted. Why do i loose the SETGID-Bit every time!

It is possible that our SFTP server does not support the setgit bit and silently ignores the request to set it.

What is the issue - can it be the SFTP.-SERVER!?

Do you need more information more input should i do more investigations on the troubles and the environment. just let me know - i do everything to get the troubles rid!

look forward to hear from you

Greetings

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.