what does a forked version mean?

Monkuar

"I'm also running a forked version of php, that has many custom additions and modifications that I added to it, which helps keep everything running as fast as it does"

what does saying u have a "forked" version of php and makes your site run super fast, wats this mean?

What exactly can u edit in your php config to make it faster? I thought only php accelerators do that? lol

A forked version generally means that the source code has been hacked in some manner making it different to the official version.

the guy that told me this is the admin @ d2jsp.org (worlds fastest forum) it's on php too.....

on his last post, he said:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=60533349&f=126&p=405037537

I used to use it, before I finished coding my forums. Prior to that, I also used phpbb v2. (Which is why my userid is not #1. My account was deleted, and after exporting all the users from phpbb to IPB, I had to re-register, and this was the next available ID.)

As post #9 explained, it was a work in progress for a couple years, and was very transitional at times. The forums now (and for about 6-7 years now) are 100% custom coded by myself. I'm also running a forked version of php, that has many custom additions and modifications that I added to it, which helps keep everything running as fast as it does. You won't see that in your run of the mill forum software.

is it illegal to hack into php and edit source?

is it illegal to hack into php and edit source?

Of course not. PHP is open source.

What mods do you think he did to make it run so fast?

must have a dedi server or root to kernal?

i can mod php if I do it on my vps right? i got access to the files? lol were would I start? isn't php fast enough?

What mods do you think he did to make it run so fast?

To be honest I'm not sure I believe the claims.

i can mod php if I do it on my vps right? i got access to the files? lol were would I start? isn't php fast enough?

If you know C, go for it. The code is available on http://php.net

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.