shorten URL in custom made CMS

qed-tech

Hello everyone

For a site of one of our customers our programmer created his own CMS which works OK at the site, but now the customer wants to shorten the URLS which are generated by the system. Is this easily possible? The programmer doesn't have the time to help us with it so that's why I try my luck here...

I hope somebody can help me. Thanks!  :-*

by shorten what is he after exactly?

you could name all the files to be 1 letter long? seems stupid and pointless

is the length down to querystrings? use POST methods?

is it to get SEO friendly urls? so page.php?section=1 becomes /sectionname/index.php

have you got an example to share of a long url to a prefered shortened version, that would be a good start point.

it can be done, but its not a simple fix, you need to probably rewrite a lot of how the system goes from page to page. and implement URL rewriting, but its quite possible that this method could break the current system as its very different.

http://www.seoconsultants.com/articles/1000/url-rewriting

this might help.

I think for a quick fix it might be an idea to say have a page called contact.php and have it pull in content for 'cmd=141&sub_menu_item_id=141&template=1&menu_item_id=50'

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.